Buzzing relay

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Stephenson

Reaction score
So, I have installed in my shop a hot water infloor heating system. I'm using a water heater to supply it I have wired a transformer to a thermostat and a relay to turn on the circ pump. I'm on my second brand new relay and I'm getting the same result. It works sometimes and sometimes the relay just buzzes loudly and doesn't make contact. Could the thermostat be the issue? It is a digital one and I understand that sometimes there could be a compatibility issue with certain brands.

Mark Stephenson

Reaction score
I'll have to go to the shop and check that, but I'm pretty sure the transformer and relay are compatible. I purchased them together from an electrical supplier. I will update shortly. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why don't you just buy something like a Honeywell RA-89A which has the relay and transformer as complete unit and then just wire the thermostat to it?

Mark Stephenson

Reaction score
Tested the transformer today. It's only putting out 14v. Going to try swapping out for a new transformer and see if anything changes. If that doesn't fix the problem then I will likely go with one of the aforementioned controllers.

Mark Stephenson

Reaction score
Decided to stop putting good money after bad, ordered the honeywell ra89a should be in in a couple weeks. Hopefully the space heaters keep working and it doesn't get too cold.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With 14vac, it sounds like you have a transformer with a 240vac primary, and you're running it on 120vac. Open circuit on many of those small transformers is about 28vac.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks