Burying water line into bedrock

Users who are viewing this thread

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a drilled well with a 6" x 20' steel casing. Due to shallow bedrock, the pitless adapter is installed at only 12" below grade.
That's not deep enough to prevent freezing here in Ontario.
How insane would it be to chisel down through some bedrock and sink my water line below frost depth? It's a short ~8' run from the well to my pressure tank. I'd have to install a new pitless adapter below the original and seal the old. Would removing bedrock compromise the grout seal on the casing?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The seal should be deeper than the frost line. But if there is no seal when you get down there, you will need to go a few feet deeper and seal below the pitless as best as you can. Best of luck with the chiseling.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Might be a little easier to build a little pump house to cover the 8ft run....I don't have any experience trying to run waterlines in hard rock but it can't be very easy. Other thought since it's only 12" would be to run it in a large conduit, with some heat tape or heavily insulate like with some commercial grade spray foam.

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.
Another option that I found was to use a drain back system. I believe it requires a bladderless pressure tank and a snifter valve... but I've only read about it.
I think leaving for the winter would be easier.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another option would be to have enough XPS foam insulation above the shallow parts. And that would need to extend out so that heat has a long path to go around the insulation.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A drain back system with a regular air over water tank will work. Probably why it was set up that way. However, for a drain back system to work you will need to maintain the bleeder orifice, control check valve, Schrader valve, and air volume control or AVC. These four parts are problematic, which is why bladder tanks are more popular as they don't have the maintenance issues. But if you make sure these four parts continue to work the water will drain back and eliminate the chance of freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks