Bubble radiant barrier vs radiant barrier and r15 insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

BigBoss

Reaction score
Bottom floor has radiant in the concrete, second floor is radiant Pex under floorboards. We want to soundproof between the 2 floors. What I have seen is to use the bubble radiant barrier 2 inches under the Pex. Would non bubble radiant barrier with R-13 soundproof insulation under that be just as good or even better? Looking for thoughts, couldn’t find much online about that combo. Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bubbles in the radiant barrier do basically nothing. And an upward facing radiant barrier will become fouled by dust over time, even I believe in a nominally sealed joist cavity.

So if you want a radiant barrier, the shiny side should face down, and then it doesn't matter if the top side is in contact with the radiant tubing, or if there is an air space above. But you need to leave an air space below the shiny side so that it's not in contact with anything.

Below that airspace, insulate however you like for both sound and thermal.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks