Brown/ Orange Water

Users who are viewing this thread

technologypa

Reaction score
Good Evening,
I have a 2 year old well that I have been having issues with recently. I have been running a 2 micron whole house carbon filter on the well water for 2 years which has been working great, however clogs up every 7 days with a brown/orange slime. If I bump up to a 5 micron filter every plumbing fixture in the house turns orange/brown within a day. The brown is a slime.. not a hard stain or anything like that.

I have had the water tested and the are suggesting an expensive water softening system. There is no odor or unusual taste. The hardness is 107 mg/l, Iron is 0.35mg/l, Ph is 6.4, Turbidity is 2.3, and everything else looks well within line of the recommended thresholds.

I have had suggestions that range from putting in a $4000 softening system to adding a 15 micron braided rope filter inline with my 5 micron carbon filter being second in line.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions as the best route to go ahead with this issue.
Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
$4000 for an installed home softener system would be high.

I don't know if it is worth raising the pH of your water. I don't have acid water, so I don't know how I would feel about it. I would deal with the iron somehow. A backwashing Iron+Sulfur filter would filter out both the clear iron that the test measures and the icky iron that you see in your filters. Do you have any sulfur smell? If yes, that would clinch the backwashing Iron+Sulfur filter for me. Softener? Maybe. I like soft water.

I am not a pro, and have very limited experience. Some people with more knowledge of treating your kind of water will give better info.

I would also sanitize my system. I like the method described in http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing for well sanitizing.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Sounds like iron bacteria, nasty stuff. I had an irrigation system that would get iron bacteria built up on the diaphragms and stick open. I put a vu flow filter with a solenoid valve on the flush port and would flush the filter before and after every irrigation cycle. It helped but still would have to change the filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
$4000.00 is NOT too high for a neutralizer & softener especially if the system eliminates the problem and is installed to meet current codes which means the system backwashes into a dedicated dry well

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks