Booster struggling to turn on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfharper

Reaction score
Lately, my booster pump has been turning at a slower rate than it has in the past. Today it was really struggling to turn on, so I turned off some drip line I have on constantly, so the booster would have less usage until I could fix it. Well, the booster probably cooled off and it was tryng to turn on, but failed and tripped the breaker.

I replaced the breaker and pressure switch a few months ago. I put a light indicator on both sides of the pressure switch...the light was bright on both sides. I've rebuilt this booster a few years ago, diaphragm, etc, been working great ever since. Took the back off the pump and all electronics look fine, no corrosion or visible problem. All other connections and wires look fine, contact points are clean on switch (tried cleaning them this morning since they get buildup sometimes). So I'm thinking something with the motor. When it did turn on, it ran fine, it was just the struggling to start that caught my attention...it wasn't as snappy turning on in the past. Is there some relay or something in the back of the motor that I could try replacing?

Jfharper

Reaction score
http://flotecpump.com/residentialpage_resource_ts_jetpump.aspx implies that at least some jet pumps have start capacitors. I would look at checking and/or replacing the start capacitor if your pump has one.

If you find what kind of pump you have, there is a good chance you can locate a service manual for it.
Thanks, it's a Goulds J10S.

I'm not finding replacement capacitors very easily. Can someone point me in their direction. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jfharper

Reaction score
Thank you. I got it fixed. My dad gave me his old pump a while ago, turns out its a goulds j10s, same as mine, took the capacitor out of his, checked the number with mine, Mallory 161-192MFD 110VAC 610807-2 60 HZ. These numbers and brand matched, the last number on mine was little different then his, 235-9830-04, his was 235-something different like 6827-04. I plugged his in, turn the power on and it started right away. I'll order a backup just in case this happens again...good to have one on hand, since I live 30 minutes from the city. Thanks for everyone who help, we have water pressure again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks