Booster pump not running

Users who are viewing this thread

Kapios

Reaction score
Goulds J05853L is not running. Voltage, pressure switch etc all good. When the contacts are closed at the switch nothing happens.

This is a 15 year old pump and appears to be discontinued. I have not been able to locate a troubleshooting manual and hesitant about opening it up.

Is there anyway to check whether the motor is seized or troubleshoot it any further or do I need to figure out the appropriate replacement?

Thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you get power to the motor something will happen. It will buzz or trip the overload or something. "Nothing happens" sounds like no power to the motor. Check with an amp meter. If no amps, no power to the motor. It could be a broken wire or a bad overload, but power is not getting to the motor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another test is to check the output voltage at the pressure switch. For a 230 volt pump the convention is that the output comes out of terminals 2 and 3. What is the AC voltage between terminals 2 and 3? This presumes that both terminals have wires on them.

Kapios

Reaction score
Damn bad wire! I was getting a good reading at the terminals so I thought all was well... Your comments forced me to take a closer look - one of the wires was old and brittle and not making a consistent connection back to the pump.

Pump works - THANK YOU!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks