Bladder tank failed, I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin_Meyers

Reaction score
40 year old bladder tank, I think is about 80 gallon, for well water. When I turn off the pump and let the tank drain via a faucet, as the pressure drops to about 20psi (from 50), the water coming out of the faucet will all of a sudden stop. I figure the diaphragm is collapsing on itself. I rock the tank and hear water sloshing around. I bleed the air out some, no water vapor.

I figure the tank is shot. Does the big box stores sell decent tanks? I don't need something that will last another 40 years.

Reach4

Reaction score
Decent to good.

When I turn off the pump and let the tank drain via a faucet, as the pressure drops to about 20psi (from 50), the water coming out of the faucet will all of a sudden stop. I figure the diaphragm is collapsing on itself.
That sounds normal, although the precharge should be increased probably. Two psi below cut-in pressure is the usual precharge with a submersible pump.

I rock the tank and hear water sloshing around.
That is the failure indication.

The A O Smith pressure tanks at Lowes look interesting, but I don't know the reputation. They have a butyl diaphragm, which is usually a premium feature. Has rotatable plastic base, which is usually a premium over a steel base.

The Water Worker tanks have a butyl+EPDM diaphragm, which diffuses air a little faster than butyl. Yet Water Worker gives good bang for the buck, and should be fine with an annual check of the air precharge.

In the 86 gallon size, I would prefer the shorter wider aspect ratio of the WW. The A O Smith LPT52 52 gallon tank looks like a nice shape if that is a good size for you.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Have you checked the air precharge pressure with a tire pressure gauge to determine if the tank will hold air?

A further option to replacing an 80 gallon pressure tank would be a Cycle Stop Valve and a much smaller tank.

A CSV will reduce pump cycling by limiting the flow rate from the pump to the actual rate of water consumption, thereby reducing the size of pressure tank needed.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
IMO the Water Worker tank is the best option of the box stores. You have lived with varying pressure for so many years you must think that is normal. Switching to constant pressure as with the Cycle Stop Valve system will not only let you use a much smaller and less expensive tank, but will give you strong constant pressure in the house. The difference is so drastic you will not longer even need soap in the shower. :)

This will replace an 80 gallon tank. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/pk1a-pside-kick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks