Bathtub shoe drain too short

Users who are viewing this thread

repair

Reaction score
I live in a high rise and have an above floor rough bathtub. The problem is the drain is too short to the tub, about 5/8". That's the p trap at the corner. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drain is too short to the tub by 5/8 in. In other words, you need to raise the drain up closer to the bottom of the tub, I assume.
Fitting-wise, there's nothing that will give you 5/8 " within the area under the tub. Maybe somewhere in all that brown fluff in the wall you could rotate up a 22.5 street el and a regular 22.5 el to get the rise that you need, the bring it back square with other fittings. This is a tough one and will take a lot of trial and error . Might have to get radical with the p-trap. Get a basket full of fittings and go to work on it.

repair

Reaction score
I got some 22.5 elbows and it looks like it should work when dry fitting. There's not much room to adjust so the angles have to be perfect. Are there any tips when gluing the pvc fittings since they move around when I take it out to glue.

Erico

Reaction score
I got some 22.5 elbows and it looks like it should work when dry fitting. There's not much room to adjust so the angles have to be perfect. Are there any tips when gluing the pvc fittings since they move around when I take it out to glue.

Once you get everything lined up, mark the position of all the fittings with a sharpie. Draw a hash mark across each fitting. Make sure the marks are long enough on the street fitting so the primer/glue doesn't erase your reference lines. Don't over do the glue on the street fittings.

When gluing, start out of position by a 1/4 to 1/2 turn then spin the fittings to line up hash marks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks