Bathtub Flange- Connection to Studs

Users who are viewing this thread

knscarlato

Reaction score
Hi all. This forum has been a life saver for me on several instances already. Hoping one of you have the answer to another elementary question.

My husband and I are installing a bathtub. We ordered a Swiss Madison alcove tub, item SM-AB545. (https://swissmadison.com/collection...-left-hand-drain-soaking-tub-with-apron-skirt ) To attach the tub to the studs, my plan was to use non-corrosive screws on the flange, but I also was expecting the tub flange to be flat. Instead the flange is curved and is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick (I am not with the tub to measure the exacts at the moment). I am assuming the 1/2 inch thick cement board should come almost flush with this once installed.

My concern is where to drill into the tub to attach it to the studs. Do I still just drill through the curved tub flange as you would a tub with a flat flange? Or is there a different technique?

Also, on another note....this tub has adjustable feet that allow you to level it. I reached out to Swiss Madison to find out if I still needed to add a layer of mortar underneath and they said no. I found another similar tub from another manufacturer and their instruction manual says to put mortar down. Any thoughts on whether a tub with adjustable feet would still need the mortar bed underneath?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't drill into the tub, but you can drill into the studs just over the flange, so that tub will stay motionless and secured in place.
Did your tub come with instructions? read them carefully and don't damage the tub.

knscarlato

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, dj2. Unfortunately the manual gives no specifics. It basically says, level the feet and install the tub. It mentions nothing on how to attach the flange. Do you think the screw will cover enough surface area of the flange since the it is curved? I guess I was little hesitant of doing that as I didn't think it would hold well enough. Thanks for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks