Bathroom vanity replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I want to replace my bathroom vanity. It sets tightly between two walls that are 48" apart. This is not a high end remodel, and I would like to stay away from custom built cabinets. The problem is that 48" cabinets from the big box stores say they need a 49" top (for overhang?) Would it work if I ordered a 48" vanity top from somewhere? Or can I get a standard 49" formica vanity top and cut off 1/2" from each end?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT need "overhang" if it is going between side walls. In fact that would be one thing you did NOT want. Buy the 48" cabinet AND a 49" countertop, the cut the 1/2" off each end.

Queen50

Reaction score
I want to replace my bathroom vanity. It sets tightly between two walls that are 48" apart. This is not a high end remodel, and I would like to stay away from custom built cabinets. The problem is that 48" cabinets from the big box stores say they need a 49" top (for overhang?) Would it work if I ordered a 48" vanity top from somewhere? Or can I get a standard 49" formica vanity top and cut off 1/2" from each end?
You may be able to get a bargain on granite for
For the size of top you need you may be able to get a good bargain at a granite supply place.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many tops can be fairly easily cut to fit in there. Depending on how square the opening is, you might want to consider a slightly narrower cabinet, and then buy the prefinished matching filler pieces trimmed to fill in that small gap exactly. If you don't want or need drawers, it's not all that hard to just build a frame - there are a bunch of prefinished doors you could then put on it. Lots of choices, some of them depend on your skill levels and what tools you have. Something like a quarter-round trim can hide slight misfits if the walls aren't plumb or square.

A granite fabricator will often have some remnants that could be used, but making the cutout for the sink (especially if you want an undermount that needs to be polished), can be more than the stone, and polishing the front edge is not inexpensive, either.

A prefabbed stone counter with the sink hole already there can be cut down to fit, often for only slightly more than one made from other solid surface or Formica(TM) surfaces, and are much more durable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks