Bathroom in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Krishmunn

Reaction score
We are in the process of buying a home. We found a beautiful home but it has just one bath (we need two).
The basement is finished and has the Washer/Dryer. I can also see the sewer line (it is the big fat iron pipe -- right?) near the ceiling of basement (just under floor joist of first floor).

Given this, can we build a new bath in the basement homefully near washer/ dryer ( it is in a separate room in basement) ?

All I want to know at this point is if it is something doable at a reasonable cost (around $20K) . Do not want to buy a house and get stuck not being able to build a second bath

I believe we will need a pump since the sewer pipe is at a higher level . But is there anything else I need to be concerned ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Prices can vary wildly across the country, but here you could get a nice full bath in an existing basement for that kind of money.
Things I would look for are any signs that the basement has groundwater/seepage problems and that the ceiling height will allow for the type of finished rooms that you desire.

Krishmunn

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes ceiling height will allow it. In fact basement is already built including a nice huge laundry room. There is an existing pump to pump up the laundry waste. My plan is to build the bathroom in the laundry room. There is no seepage issue (the grading is good) .

Krishmunn

Reaction score
Thank you for all help. One additional question (sorry should have asked earlier) --- as I mentioned earlier all the pipes of this house (including Sewer and Water ) runs just below the first floor joist. It looks pretty ugly in an otherwise finished basement. the pipes runs diagonally across the basement. The height is not that I can put a false ceiling to cover it. Is it a reasonable cost (~ 10K) to divert the pipes to run around the inside perimeter ( closer to walls) of the house.

The house is a 1000 sft ranch

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You have to consider that the pipe must be pitched no less than an inch for every 4 feet, so the chances of hiding more than part of it within the joist space is not good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks