Bathroom Exhaust Fan - Advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Hello! I'm finishing my basement and adding a 5' x 8' 3/4 bathroom. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put my exhaust fan. There is no easy apparent solution.

Here is the bathroom. There is a glass block window with a hopper vent. This wall with the glass block is the side of my house. The other wall is to the front of my house.

IMG_20221221_115328720.jpg

When I look at the joist cavities, none seem like a good option.

r/hvacadvice - Basement Bathroom Exhaust Fan - Advice?

Option 1 - This joist cavity is entirely in the shower. So, it is doable, but I would have to figure out how to tile around the exhaust fan. I plan to tile the ceiling of the shower, because the shower is only 80" high. I would have the fan connected to a GFI and rated for in-shower.

Option 2 - This joist cavity is half way in the shower and right above the shower door, a very tight fit. The exhaust fan would be half way in the tiled shower and half way on the ceiling drywall. It would also put the duct right next to the hot and cold water lines. This was where I was initially going to, but ran into these problems.

Option 3 / 4 / 5 - All three of these joist cavities would require cutting a 3 or 4" hole in the joist that's supporting the window bay area. I don't like that idea.

Option 6 - I do not install an exhaust fan at all. I simply open the hopper vent and bathroom door when I'm done showering. This is a 2nd bathroom and won't be used often.

Option 7 - I replace the hopper vent with a powered vent that fits into the glass block window. This is the fan I found. This seems like a good option too.

Any advice? I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Thanks for that advice! Right now, replacing the hopper vent with a powered ventilation fan looks like the best option right now. Yes, I love those timers as well, I have one in my other bathroom. Unfortunately, this glass block ventilation fan plugs into an outlet, it's not hard wired. It automatically turns on when you open the vent door.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks