Basement Toilet, no flange & looks like cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Vagrantx291

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a newbie when it comes to plumbing and I'm currently renovating my basement bathroom (house was built in 73)

I noticed upon removing the old toilet that there was on flange, the bolts were in the concrete and there was just a rubber ring and old wax behind it. The pipe is rusted inside so I'm assuming its cast iron, looks to be 4".

Do I need to dig up around the pipe to install an actual flange or could I use something like this to slip inside the existing pipe?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-PVC-DWV-Replacement-Closet-Flange-43539/100139480?keyword=4"+Cast+Iron+Closet+Flange+Replacement

or even this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-HydroSeat-Toilet-Flange-Repair-10672X/204403879

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can install a new flange inside the old pipe, but make sure it's sealed. If you install a "new" flange, make sure it's secure to the floor.
Or you can install using wax ring/rings.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Too bad its made of plastic. Plastic just doesn't hold up well. Be careful tightening the toilet hold-down T-bolts as they tend to want to rotate in the slot and can crack the plastic.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a problem with the two bolts that are sticking up now?

Stuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to that part. I just used it for my 1940's basement "Pittsburgh toilet" that I had been putting off. It slid in easily after I covered the rubber with plumber's grease. The stainless steel ring then rotated to where I needed it. Some Tapcon screws and all was good.

It may be a local thing as I had no flange either and the inner dimension was 3 3/4". Even worse, the two toilet bolts were screwed in small pieces of rotted wood that were embedded in the concrete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks