Basement Saniflo Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Hallowhead1

Reaction score
I'm deciding if I want to add a toilet in my basement for guests when over for parties etc. My basement area is roughly 23x23.

My waste line leaves my house 4' above the basement floor so I can't use conventional ways to remove toilet waste.. shrugs

I'm looking at saniflo grinder toilets but read mixed reviews, requirements to daily flush etc.

I'm looking for some advice or reason to install or forego the toilet all together.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't used them personally, but we have installed quite a few which I've never had to return to work on. I know our service techs have had to unclog them and they seem to be reasonably servicable. The main thing is replacing the macerating blades.

Hallowhead1

Reaction score
I haven't used them personally, but we have installed quite a few which I've never had to return to work on. I know our service techs have had to unclog them and they seem to be reasonably servicable. The main thing is replacing the macerating blades.
I want to get the grinder, assuming the blades still need replacement.

For the service techs do they ever experience issues with not daily flushing ?

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I’ve had one in my basement for a few years. Takes in the toilet, sink and shower. Never had to flush it out or anything. I actually never heard of that or having to replace the blades.

Reach4

Reaction score
For the service techs do they ever experience issues with not daily flushing ?
I think if you use the toilet, you should flush.

If I don't use a toilet I try to flush it once per month so that the trap does not dry out. I expect the same kind of thing would be appropriate to a Saniflo toilet.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Guests, parties and Saniflo can be a problem, got a service call once for a Saniflo stalled.

Turns out they'd had a party and someone dropped a beer bottle cap in, jammed the blade.

They're definitely convenient, albeit expensive, I opt for a sewage ejector over a Saniflo when possible.

Hallowhead1

Reaction score
Guests, parties and Saniflo can be a problem, got a service call once for a Saniflo stalled.

Turns out they'd had a party and someone dropped a beer bottle cap in, jammed the blade.

They're definitely convenient, albeit expensive, I opt for a sewage ejector over a Saniflo when possible.
can you propose a good ejector ?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a floor model, Saniflo's best, sub floor/slab is Liberty or Zoeller.
But can either of those be installed above grade?

I can't stand sewage ejectors where the piping comes out of the lid. I won't install them anymore. The maintenance is a nightmare tangle of removing the lid with the pump dangling from it. The lids really never seal either and if they're steel, they rust.

I have a local supplier who makes sumps custom lenght out of large diameter ribbed sewer pipe. They epoxy a lid on the bottom and you get a lid for the top. All of the in and out piping goes through the side wall. I can install them under a washer or dryer so they don't take up any floor space.. or a closet.. The lids are the same you see covering septic tanks so you can drive over them. The gaskets are way better and the lids don't rust. Best of all, when I have to service them, I remove the lid and set it aside, turn off the valve and disconnect the pump, pull it up in a civilized manner.. way less messy.

kingsboy

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning on installing a Saniflo Compact toilet, model 023, but must the discharge pipe be connected directly to the stack? It is way more convenient for me to connect the 1 inch discharge pipe to a 2 inch waste pipe coming from a shower which then connects to the stack. It would be about 4 feet from shower to Saniflo connection and 8 feet from Saniflo connection, 2 inch pipe, to stack. The toilet will be on the main floor with the discharge pipe dropping into the basement almost immediately, it's too difficult to use a traditional toilet in the desired location.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks