Are 2 Quarter (90) Bends Allowed In Horizontal Drain Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

herynkc

Reaction score
Im doing some renovations in my basement. I am in the process of both relocating my washing machine / sink drain line and digging a hole to pour a spread footing for a column which I am moving. The footprint of this footing interferes with my current drain line path, therefore I have redesigned the drain line (as pictured in my drawing). The photo shows the current layout of the drain line. It looks like they have incorrectly installed a sanitary tee in place of a wye or combo wye. So is it a bad idea to have those 2 90bends back to back? I dont want to have a cleanout between them, nor do I think that there is room to do 2 45 bends since my furnace is on the other side of my proposed drain line to washing machine and sink. Thanks for your help

I have drawn on the photo in green to layout my proposed redesign, black lines show uncovered existing lines, red is the square area I cannot be below.

Attachments

• drain line.JPG
    drain line.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 693
  • drain line2.JPG
    drain line2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 661

herynkc

Reaction score
The sanitary tee is actually 4" reduced down to 3" lines everywhere else.

So im eliminating the straight run coming off of the current sanitary tee, so do you mean a wye and a 45 bend? A double wye gives me 3 offshoots, I only need 2.

herynkc

Reaction score
Thanks for all your feedback. Im going to go with a wye and a 45.

Upon excavating the rest of the area, Ive found a large void beneath the slab. Is this common in older homes? Any plumbers seen this?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 624
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 640

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Got critters in there? When pouring a slab originally, that area had to be filled in, or the concrete would have filled it in.

herynkc

Reaction score
I ended up installing it like this, a wye with a 45 and a 22.5 on the end:

Attachments

• basement DWV modification.JPG
    basement DWV modification.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 603
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks