Apollo hydro heating

Users who are viewing this thread

Andri

Reaction score
Today I had a leak from my hot water heater to attic unit, I fixed the leak and now the I have cold air blowing out of vents. I have read about the recirculating pump and airlock, how can I go about testing to fix heat. Thanks in advance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without seeing our layout, and what valves, controls you may have, it's tough to give specific instructions. If there is a vent high up in the system, you'd put a hose on it, run water through the system from the system fill valve until it doesn't show any bubbles. Close that drain valve and pressurize the system with a little bit more water until it reaches design level (usually around 12-14psi), then shut off the fill. If you have an air extractor, it should work out any air that is left. If you don't, it gets more complicated. Note, potable water will have some dissolved air in it, and that will need to also work its way out of the system, and might require a small addition of water to top things off in a day or so of running.

Does the boiler try to turn on and fails? Does it not try to turn on? It may be you need to press a reset, or some other interlock is not closed (like low pressure).

Without more symptoms, can't give you better help. The operator's manual typically has some troubleshooting help in it. Have you tried that? That should be your first step to isolate what's going on. It may also have a theory of operation, which may also help you figure out what's going on. If that is beyond you, you may need to call in a professional, or provide some pictures so we can see what's going on.

IOW, a bit more help from you on what's going on will provide better help from people on the forum.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Most hydro-air handler systems running off hot water heaters had an aquastat on the air handler to enable the air handler blower only when the aquastat sensed hot enough water entering the coil. The wall thermostat only enables the pump. Yours might be different, or the aquastat might need tweaking or replacement(?).

Model numbers for the air handler and any aquastat controls might be worth reporting here.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Looks like some or all models of the Apollo will start the blower and the pump simultaneously, unlike some others. If the pump is running, the isolation valves are open, and the coil is getting flow it should eventually deliver the heat. If there's an air lock blocking flow you need to bleed the air out of the system. See "System Start Up Procedures" on p. 10 of the manual.

Andri

Reaction score
What I have found is the water isn't circulating enough , power to the pump sounds and feels like it's running like.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the pumps impeller is shot, or a valve is partially closed or a filter or some fitting is clogged with grit/debris it could limit the flow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's an air lock (air in the system), you won't get proper flow. On some systems, it can be a painful process to get all of the air out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks