AO Smith direct vent water heater vent length

Users who are viewing this thread

Adkroot

Reaction score
Trying to find out what the total length is of the expandable vent for AO Smith’s GDV-40 water heaters. AO Smith customer service says they don’t know and to reference my supplier who also doesn’t know. Checked with my hvac supplier who can get the part, and he says there’s no info and when he calls AO Smith they also tell him they don’t know. Literature says that max horizontal venting is 80”, but they don’t provide actual total length. Anyone have any idea?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No idea . have you gone through all the directions we know its way longer than 80 inches, and that you must not run longer than 80 on horizontal , If you need more than what is supplied because the total verticle and horrizontal exceeds the length of the connector you may want to check to see if they permit extending it example : the wall penetration 60 inches verticle and 80 inches horizontal it might be short. In any case articulating the purpose of your question might help solve your issue they might let you extend the connector who really care how long it is ?

Took another look dimension A max 80 , dimension B min 9 inches there is no maximum so no big deal extending the verticle

Adkroot

Reaction score
No idea . have you gone through all the directions we know its way longer than 80 inches, and that you must not run longer than 80 on horizontal , If you need more than what is supplied because the total verticle and horrizontal exceeds the length of the connector you may want to check to see if they permit extending it example : the wall penetration 60 inches verticle and 80 inches horizontal it might be short. In any case articulating the purpose of your question might help solve your issue they might let you extend the connector who really care how long it is ?

Took another look dimension A max 80 , dimension B min 9 inches there is no maximum so no big deal extending the verticle
it’s just crazy that AO Smith can’t even say how long a length they supply with the unit. I only need about a 48” horizontal run, but a longer vertical that puts the entire length over 80”, which I’m wondering if is all they supply… but they don’t even know.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
it’s just crazy that AO Smith can’t even say how long a length they supply with the unit. I only need about a 48” horizontal run, but a longer vertical that puts the entire length over 80”, which I’m wondering if is all they supply… but they don’t even know.
I just pulled one out of the recycle that we crushed. It extended to about 8ft

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks