American Standard Toilet Actuator Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Treypar

Reaction score
I replaced the chain on this toilet and now the actuator just stays up when toilet is flushed and does not fall back down. I have tried adjusting the tension on the chain but have been unable to correct the problem. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

index.php

Treypar

Reaction score
There are many different AS toilets and many different flushing systems in them. You need to at least give us a model number or if not, as Reach suggests, put up a photo.
Photo is attached. Tank model is 4049. Thanks for any suggestions.

am std toilet photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
We cannot see most of the chain in the photo, but I see that your chain is hidden by the white cylinder.

On that flush valve, I wonder if that white cylinder is a float that got waterlogged, or if it is intended to drain of water as it sits above the water level, and the drain is clogged. Either way, I am thinking that a new flapper valve is your main need. You need not get the same flapper to replace it.

Is that the original flush arm that pulls the chain? It seems short.

as_tilt_valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That's a tilt flush. You can get a new thingy for it at the local hardware store. Also, a basic Korky flapper can replace it, which is what I did on one toilet. You need the one with the loop on it not just the one with the arms. The loop goes over the overflow riser (the vertical tube from the flush valve) and you ignore the little wings. The "hinge" on this setup will be 90 degrees off from where the tilt-flush would "hinge". If you do this, you might get a replacement handle (easy to install, it just unscrews from inside the tank, but remember that it is one common household item that is reverse-threaded, so lefty-tighty, righty-loosy instead of the normal lefty-loosy.) with a longer arm so that you pull straight up on the flapper chain. It's an easy, fun project to replace both.

E.g. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Te...CH=RV-_-rv_search_plp_rr-_-NA-_-100164092-_-N

This style, not necessarily this one:
10ea49bf-8c3c-4947-a9a0-47b45346225b_400.jpg

Or this traditional one, Korky 2000BP
2000_out.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks