4 wire submersible 110volt electrical issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen a 1.5 hp 110 volt submersible pump. That said, I bet it won't last a year before you're changing it.

RandyVMD

Reaction score
No it does not do that.

I would check the cap wiring, It looks like it was replaced using a different type. (Start-Run 2 section)

The connections to the cap have been Hot, As seen in your picture.
Not sure what you mean by cap, the wires looked brand new when I started, thus the blogging!

RandyVMD

Reaction score
Normally, if you are using a submersible pump to pump to a shallower depth, you orient the pump horizontally, and ideally put it into a flow inducer / sleeve to provide better motor cooling.
That is easily done, will give that a try if I can keep it running. Just would mount to cinder blocks to keep it from sediment contact.

RandyVMD

Reaction score
That pump is 110 volts only, get rid of the extension cord and run # 10 wire directly from the breaker to the control box getting rid of the plugin setup
This brings me back to my main point of confusion: if the pump is 110vac only and supplied with 4 wires from a control box why did the control box come with an attached cord to be plugged into a standard 220v European supply receptacle? Chinese product with confusing ratings? Control box seems set to handle alternating phases of 110 and in service is drawing too many amps. Any electricians have insight?

Bgard

Reaction score
This brings me back to my main point of confusion: if the pump is 110vac only and supplied with 4 wires from a control box why did the control box come with an attached cord to be plugged into a standard 220v European supply receptacle? Chinese product with confusing ratings? Control box seems set to handle alternating phases of 110 and in service is drawing too many amps. Any electricians have insight?
cord and plug connections are loose and do not make good contact,with each connection you add a little resistance which in turn increases the current, it gets worse with a larger load. as for why it came that way I would guess because it is made in china and does not have to meet any certifications such as UL or the NFPA.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
upload_2017-7-30_14-19-42.png

RandyVMD

Reaction score
cord and plug connections are loose and do not make good contact,with each connection you add a little resistance which in turn increases the current, it gets worse with a larger load. as for why it came that way I would guess because it is made in china and does not have to meet any certifications such as UL or the NFPA.

Board, seems like the front end of your response did not post. Could you please repeat that comment?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks