4/3 wire and connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Michaela521

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Leviton 9462-P 60 Amp plug and would like to connect it to 4/3 extension wire. Do you know where I can find 4/3 extension wire? I can only find 6/3 extension wire. Also, I am using this on a device that only has 3 connections. One for L (or X), another for N (or Y), and another for ground. Doesn't look like I even need the extra wire. But is it fine if I simply connect both the G and W (show in the image) to the ground terminal on this unit.
ibcGetAttachment.jsp

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I suppose it depends on where you connect the OTHER end of the wires, but WHY would you do it in the first place, assuming your unit does NOT have a "neutral" or 120v circuit.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a Leviton 9462-P 60 Amp plug and would like to connect it to 4/3 extension wire. Do you know where I can find 4/3 extension wire? I can only find 6/3 extension wire.

That plug looks like it is made for a #6 wire, A #4 may be to big for the connections. How long will it be ?

Good Luck.

Michaela521

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

If you do a search for that plug on Leviton's website it does state it can do #4 wire.

The search for soow cable "4 awg" "4/3 does work

The unit only has a L, N and G connections. On reading this the G is for the ground, the L and N are for the hot lines. There is no 4'th connections.

Thanks

DonL

Reaction score
If you do a search for that plug on Leviton's website it does state it can do #4 wire.

4/2 is all you need. It should be easy to get.

Or you could use 2 separate #4 wires. And a #6 for ground.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
The unit only has a L, N and G connections. On reading this the G is for the ground, the L and N are for the hot lines. There is no 4'th connections.

That Sounds like 120V ? Are you sure about the voltage ?

"another for N (or Y)"

Y is not Neutral, smoke will result. W is Neutral. :eek: What are you trying to connect ?

Last edited:

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
I have a Leviton 9462-P 60 Amp plug and would like to connect it to 4/3 extension wire.
Why are you using this plug? Do you have a 9462 receptacle
Also, I am using this on a device that only has 3 connections.
Is this a 120 volt device or a 240 volt device, or a 120/240 volt device. What is the amperage of this device?

Reaction score
You can find a lot of strange 240v stuff from hydroponic and greenhouse suppliers. I was able to snatch 240v extension cords that are impossible to find in local big box stores.

If you join the right forums, you can find out if there are any local suppliers or if you need to mail order.

Regardless what the laws are in your state, it is 100% legal to buy "grow op" equipment.

DonL

Reaction score
"N" is NOT a "hot' line, it is a neutral and that appears to be a 120v appliance which should NEVER require a 4/3 wire.

I think a Fuse and Smoke detector is required for this job. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hot and current carrying conductors are not the same thing. Neutral is a current carrying conductor that is referenced to ground.

DonL

Reaction score
I hope the OP did not Zap their self. :eek:

With a Neutral involved and only 2 wires and a ground, 120V must be what is needed.

That wiring plan is wrong for 120V.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; ith a Neutral involved and only 2 wires and a ground, 120V must be what is needed.

Unless it is 277v, but in that case he should not have to ask us the question, or he electrocuted himself. I was in the supply house one time when an electrician came in and asked, "What is this new 277v stuff all about?"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks