3 gang Insteon switch install driving me nuts~

Users who are viewing this thread

frodiggs

Reaction score
Going a bit nuts here and my lack of experience is getting in the way.

Replacing 3 switches - 2 older 2 wire Leutron dimmers and a leutron 3 wire dimmer [which is also controlled at the other end of the kitchen. This 3 way switch has contrasting orientation.]

new switches are Insteon home automation type dimmers (2477D). The Insteon's have red/white (load) black(line) and bare copper ground wires.

I was able to get the 3 way working (far right) but having problems integrating the other 3 wire Insteons to the existing 2 wire setup that the leutrons had.

See pic. The other 2 standard 2 wire dimmers we're just pigtailed to a line and separately to loads, seems i've not completed the circuit.

My 2nd new switch (1st on left) has power but will not control light, ive not integrated the 3rd new switch yet- old leutron in in the middle

inprogress.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When I walk into a job like this, the first thing I do is ignore what the owner did and start over from scratch.

1. Identify the hot and neutral coming into the box.
Never assume there is only one hot coming in.
2. Identify which cable feeds which light.
3. For a 2-way switch identify which is the hot and runner conductor separately.

A basic 2-terminal switch is line and load + ground,
A lighted or "smart" dimmer will often require a neutral.

If you don't have a multimeter and know how to use it, leave the electrical work for those that do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At the switch, it is fairly common on not very old construction for there to NOT be a neutral available (latest codes I've heard require it, making the wire routing a bit less efficient in some cases). Some of the smarter automation switches require power and neutral, and you can't get there without rewiring where an 'old-school' dimmer would have worked just fine. The switched leg should have a red marker on it, but that often is not done.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At the switch, it is fairly common on not very old construction for there to NOT be a neutral available (latest codes I've heard require it, making the wire routing a bit less efficient in some cases). Some of the smarter automation switches require power and neutral, and you can't get there without rewiring where an 'old-school' dimmer would have worked just fine. The switched leg should have a red marker on it, but that often is not done.

frodiggs

Reaction score
I have Klein tools ET50.

6, 2 wire cables in the box

original setup

all ground wires spliced together

wire cables 1&2: whites are netural and spliced, blacks are spliced and are line. the original dimmers were pigtailed to this spliced black line to their line wires

wire cables 3&4: whites are netural and spliced along with neutral from cables 1&2, blacks are load and independently went to the 2 wired dimmers as load

wire cable 5: white is netural and spliced along with neutral from cables 1-4, black is load went to red wire of old dimmer [and now connected to red wire of new dimmer]

wire cable 6: white is oddly line here and is connected to black wire on new dimmer. black wire not used currently

working new dimmer on far right also has neural added to 5 spliced neutral wires and ground wire connected to spliced grounds.

frodiggs

Reaction score
go it working with this setup

Black 1, black 2, dimmer 1 black, dimmer 2 black all get connected together.
Black 3 goes to dimmer 1 red.
Black 4 goes to dimmer 2 red.
Whites get connected to the neutral splice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks