2nd floor water pressure issue combined with basement dampness

Users who are viewing this thread

LisaLisa

Reaction score
Dear Terry,

I have an over 100 yr old rehabbed home I purchased about 4 years ago. It has good water pressure everywhere, even in the sink faucets on the 2nd floor bath. Just recently it suddenly started having low water pressure only in the tub/shower, doesn't seem to matter if it is from the tub spigot or the shower head. It is is a single lever spin, doesn't matter if it is set to cold or hot. Takes forever to fill the tub. Is difficult to even get the shower to activate. Not too long ago, I had noticed the toilet in that bath was making gurgling sounds, but this seems to have stopped? If the washing machine in basement is running, water pressure goes to zero, it used to drop back, but not this drastically. While I understand multiple usage causes a spread on demand ... I've been here for a few years and it didn't used to be this way. The house next door used to be vacant and I had "heard" it had a sewer line break. It went in to foreclosure, was bought cheap, and is now rented. Surely it could not have been put on line, etc. without this being fixed? This could not be an ongoing problem? I'm at a loss, but something is going on and also impacting my foundation it seems ... as well as this sudden water pressure drop. I'm in a city environment, so the houses are close together.

I am not plumbing knowledgeable really. Main stack is new, some piping is plastic, copper, and some may be older. I have in the last few months been battling moisture problems on the walls of the stone basement as well? I do not see anywhere on the outside foundation where there need to be repairs and have been obsessive about home maintenance. Water bills in City of STL are fixed, so I do not notice if there is a rise in water use, which is not helpful. I had yellowing spots on the stones in my basement and could feel moisture. I had work done to the basement, drylocked, painted, etc. only weeks ago, and I can feel moisture already.

I live on a fixed income and am greatly concerned about proceeding in the right way so I am not having every professional and contractor running up my bills that I can't afford. Please help. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks