Search results

1. Wen72

Replacing existing single pole bathroom fan switch

If I understand you correctly, the evidence we have so far kind of suggesting that somehow the black and white wires were switched. How? We will never know unless I get to the fan junction box then we can be 100% sure. I am thinking to go buy a new electronic timer today and try to wire it Bare...
  2. Wen72

I finally had a chance today to test the voltage. Here is the result: white/bare: 0 V white/black: 125 V black/bare: 125 V I also tested the red wire: red/bare: 125 V white/red: 125 V So from my test, both black wire and red wire carry 125 V when the breaker is on. And for the switch, red...
  3. Wen72

Got it. I'll let you know. Thanks, Wen
  4. Wen72

Am out of town this weekend, will find sometime to do the test next week. Just to make sure I understand, this is what I need to do: 1. Turn off the breaker. 2. Disconnect the white wire from the switch. 3. Connect the white wire with #14 insulated wire that I will prepare first (with both ends...
  5. Wen72

Oops, sorry, I just realized after a quick search on the internet the short tip probes is a cap, once I took off the cap, the long probes are there. Just tested a live receptacle, the reading is 125 V. Thanks, Wen
  6. Wen72

I tried last night, the metal tip of the probes of this multimeter I bought is too short to stick into a live receptacle! Why do they sell this kind of short probes and are they any useful? Do I have to buy a new probe or are there any adapters? Oh boy, I hope I don't have to return it and buy...
  7. Wen72

Here is a zoom in of the embossed diagram.
  8. Wen72

Yup, I'm comfortable making connections, eager to resolve the mystery:-) I bought a Analog Multimeter today. I vaguely remembered using it to test battery when I was in junior or senior high school. I'm comfortable using it, just need some help:-) It would be great if you could tell me what...
  9. Wen72

Took me some time, but I think now I have a very rough idea of how a relay works. Have not use a voltmeter before.. I brought back my ladder and had a pretty good look on the drywall box in the ceiling. My conclusion is that when they install the bathroom fan and boxed the fan housing in...
  10. Wen72

So the red and white wires connect to the fan switch is similar to the way it works for the red and white wires going out from the relay box to the humidifier? This is my first time seeing a relay, or this complicated wiring. Before moving into this condo apartment, we lived in a townhouse. As...
  11. Wen72

I see. Yes, there is no box behind the thermostat. The cable poke through a hole in the drywall. I will need a longer ladder first so I can assess if I can reach to the top of the drywall box. I do have a longer ladder, will need to get it from the storage over the weekend. Will let you know...
  12. Wen72

I've opened furnace switch box and the relay shutter box, took pictures of both. The furnace switch box wiring drawing is in the below full diagram. Looking at the direction where the cables disappear I had to guess where it might go, but it's pretty much matching where we thought it is going...
  13. Wen72

ok, will do that tomorrow. I also noticed that if I turn off the furnace switch, the humidistat still works. But yeah, we should be able to see how it is wired inside the furnace Switch and the relay box. Thanks, Wen
  14. Wen72

This reminds me that every time I turn on the humidistat, I can hear a clicking sound on the other side of the ceiling. I checked again in the ceiling where the clicking sound comes from, I see there is a switch marked as "Furnace" and below the switch there is a junction box marked as "Relay...
  15. Wen72

My ladder is not in the apartment, so it is a little hard for me to reach to the two cables.. These are the most I can see: 1. UNDER PAT. NOS. 7557301 7411129" 5/10/10 M.CLAR... This one looks pretty clear to me is a 2-conductor cable. You can feel the two wires and it has a grove in the...
  16. Wen72

I checked the bathroom ceiling again to see if there is anyway I can access to the outside of the fan housing. Took some more pictures. It is pretty drywalled in, I can see there are two cables going in or out of the drywall box. Don't think there is a way to get to the fan junction box, it...
  17. Wen72

Yes, that was the first time I opened the switch box. I didn't take a photo, but I'm pretty sure it was how it was wired before. I meant I saw one white and one red wires connected to the fan switch. I remembered when I turned the breaker back on, the low speed fan just went on constantly no...
  18. Wen72

I wasn't thinking about all this when I tried it last year. Thought it was just a simple switch change, shouldn't have underestimated this work. Thanks, Wen
  19. Wen72

Hi Wayne, I see. The factory and field wiring you mentioned makes sense to me. Oh well, guess I'll leave it as it. One other thing I forgot to mention, last year when I bought the timer switch, I remembered I just connected without thinking and connected the black wire from the timer switch...
  20. Wen72

So normally I think a bathroom fan timer switch is an electronic timer and has 3-wire (black, white and red) so it could run itself, right? How does this kind of switch usually connects? May I assume there are usually two wires coming from the fan? Or how does it work? Thanks, Wen
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks