Search results

1. LiamM

QuickDrain linear drain questions

I have an upcoming project that will use QuickDrain linear drains, the ones that have an integrated 6"-wide flange of Noble TS. The shower has both a window and a niche. I had planned on using Hydroban on the shower walls and floor, so I wouldn't have to deal with corner buildup from Kerdi...
  2. LiamM

Pasco shower liner and preformed corners

Hi all - I was at a job today where I installed a Pasco 40 mil liner, and *tried* to install their preformed corner (where a curb butts into a wall) with their solvent cement. I had watched their video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4PiNkatus) and cut the liner like they did at the 7:15...
  3. LiamM

Remodeling around cast iron toilet flange

Hi folks - I'm on a project where the homeowner had a tiled bathroom floor that "crunched". The floor was over a 6" high dirt crawl space. I ended up taking out everything down to the floor joists. The extent of the demolition is in the pic below. During the demo phase, I removed 4 hex-head...
  4. LiamM

Adjusting the shower head angle

Question regarding shower head...even when it's angled as low as possible, it's still aimed too high. Is there a connector of some type that goes between the shower arm and shower head that would allow me to angle the water spray lower?
  5. LiamM

Replacing basket strainer

Hello Some basic questions follow - thanks for your patience and advice. I'm trying to replace a basket strainer. I've got the old strainer removed, but I'm now confused how to remove the section of drain pipe so I can slide off the old slip nut. I thought I could simply slide it off the...
  6. LiamM

Cutting hole for toilet pipe

hi I'm doing some remodeling work, and my plumber just cut a hole for the toilet flange. right now, I only have 3/4" OSB subfloor, plus 1/2" plywood underlayment. I plan on putting down ditra and tile. the flange won't be installed until the end, right now the pipe is just a long stub-out...
  7. LiamM

Expansion gap for floating floor

Hi I'm installing a floating bamboo floor, made from engineered wood. It's going in a rectangular room that already has baseboard heat along two walls that form a right angle. Flooring instructions say to leave a 1/2" expansion gap all around, which I did. However, I had to hammer...
  8. LiamM

limitations of wood epoxy?

Hi I have 3 windowsills that are rotten. One of them has a hole, about the size of 2 silver dollars, that goes through to the stud cavity. The rest of this windowsill, along with the 2 others, is soft enough to sink in a putty knife about one inch. As far as I can tell, the rot was due...
  9. LiamM

Capping off a connection from gas meter

Hi - A few months ago, I had a connection from my gas meter to my grill capped off. Is it normal for the cap to look that rusted? Or should I call the plumber back to replace it? As always, thanks for any advice
  10. LiamM

Installing joist header

Hi I installed a joist header that spans 2 joists bays. The tail joist was previously sistered, as was one of the trimmer joists. Because of this, I used doubled headers. However, the other trimmer joist was only a single, and I didn't think to double it up. Both headers are within 3'...
  11. LiamM

Red triangle on water meter

Hi I recently noticed that the red triangle on the face of my water meter was moving back and forth by about 3/4 of a revolution. Each time it moved forward-backwards-forward, it ended up a little past where it was. I didn't have any fixtures, etc turned on while this was happening. Is...
  12. LiamM

New wax ring needed?

Hi I just had a new toilet installed by the plumbing contractor, and after a few days, I've noticed that the bowl wobbles a bit. The toilet hasn't been used since it was installed, since I've been finishing up painting and a few other remodeling tasks in that room. The plumber is set to come...
  13. LiamM

Drywall seams showing through primer

Hello Several months ago, I drywalled, taped, mudded, and primed a couple of bedrooms. They looked fine until the last few weeks. All of a sudden, I can see a lot of the seams, both tapered and butted, through the primer. The tape itself isn't peeling or blistering, and the drywall itself...
  14. LiamM

Caulk between flange and floor?

Hi Quick question...installing a toilet on the second floor...is it recommended to caulk between the finished floor and the underside of the flange? Seems this would prevent water from seeping down around the pipe and into the joist bays if there was ever a leak. Thanks
  15. LiamM

Installing vanity in out-of-square corner

Hi I'm having a plumber install a new bathroom sink, toilet, fixtures, etc, but before he comes, I tried to test-fit the new vanity sink and countertop that I had bought from HD. The vanity is going in a corner, and it's a really tight fit. Anyhow, the sink fit (barely), but the corner is...
  16. LiamM

Rough plumbing for shower isn't quite 'plumb'

Hi I'm renovating a bathroom as part of a larger rehab project, and I'm nearing the final phases. I've hired out the plumbing and electrical, but I'm attempting to do the other aspects. I've installed a new fiberglass tub and 3-piece shower surround, and the plumber has installed the rough...
  17. LiamM

Opinions on plumbing cost for bathroom remodel

Hi folks This may be a shot in the dark, but i figured I'd ask anyways. I'm a homeowner in the Boston, Ma area getting quotes for a plumbing job, and the estimates coming back (~ $7k) are WAY over what I expected. i don't necessarily think they're over-charging, it's just that maybe I'm out of...
  18. LiamM

Supporting a toilet flange

Hi everyone - Apologies if this has already been asked before...did a quick search and didn't see anything similar I'm in the middle of doing some renovations that included a complete gut and re-build of the existing bathroom. I contracted out the plumbing work, and I have a couple of...
  19. LiamM

Proper use of greenboard

hi all I've read on USG's website that water-resistant gypsum board should not be installed over a vapor retarder in a shower or tub compartment (I'm assuming because of the direct and prolonged water contact) OR when covering with an impervious finish, such as ceramic tile, since it would...
  20. LiamM

Clunking noise from shower faucet

hi My shower has a Symmons temptrol shower faucet. within the past couple of days, I've noticed a loud clunking noise when I either turn the water on or off. if I'm moving the handle slowly enough, the clunking is still there, but now takes on a stuttering quality. other than the noise...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks