Search results

1. makethatkerdistick

Corroding stainless steel?

Ruvati sent me a replacement strainer under warranty but didn't deem it necessary to replace the sink. At this point, I think that will be ok with me as long as the corrosion won't continue. I already installed it and will keep an eye on it. Just thought I should follow up on this since people...
  2. makethatkerdistick

Hi! Thanks for your replies. No, I am not dumping acidic foods down the drain that would not be flushed right away. (As an aside, I have a coffee machine drip tray from SS304 that has acidic coffee residue sitting in it almost 24/7 for 12 years now without a trace of corrosion). The basket...
  3. makethatkerdistick

I have a vexing problem. After only two years of use, my stainless steel sink has small gouges where the material has suffered corrosion. As you can see from the pictures, something's eaten away at the 18/10 stainless material. This occurred between the strainer insert and the sink flange. I...
  4. makethatkerdistick

Combining vent pipes in attic to reduce roof penetrations?

Thanks, Terry. In this case, I will combine the six vents into three terminations as the horizontal run for tying together both sides of the house is at least 40 ft. That way, I can still reduce the penetrations by half without having to worry about too long a run and having to increase pipe...
  5. makethatkerdistick

Combining vent pipes in attic to reduce roof penetrations?

I currently have six plumbing vent pipes penetrating my roof. When reroofing becomes necessary, I'd like to reduce the number of roof penetrations in order to reduce leak potential and for aesthetic purposes. Is it possible to combine these into two or even one vent roof termination? My plan...
  6. makethatkerdistick

Replumbing slab house with copper through attic - crazy idea?

Just to give some closure to this thread: I was finally able to finish the project. Using copper was a lot of work but everything's working great now. Pressure has also improved over the old slab plumbing. I have peace of mind now.
  7. makethatkerdistick

Cast Iron drain/waste pipes under slab

I'm trying to think a bit ahead here. My 50 year old slab ranch has 4 in cast iron drain pipe buried under the concrete. So far, aside from one belly on one branch, there are no problems at all, even with low-flow toilets. We also make sure to strain hair at all shower locations and use very...
  8. makethatkerdistick

Galvanic corrosion between bronze/brass and 304 stainless?

It just occurred to me that in my shower remodel I must have installed a stainless steel nipple between my drop ear in the wall and the brass elbow that supplies my handheld shower head. The drop ear is the typical Nibco $7ish one you find at Lowe's. It looks darker, more like bronze than brass...
  9. makethatkerdistick

How to measure copper return bends?

Thanks, all. That's what I figured. I've never used this fitting before and didn't know.
  10. makethatkerdistick

How to measure copper return bends?

Can you explain to me how this copper return bend is measured? Does the 1 1/2 in go from center of pipe to center of pipe? Or is it the actual space between the two arms of the bend? https://www.supplyhouse.com/Elkhart-32346-1-2-x-1-1-2-Copper-Return-Bend Thank you!
  11. makethatkerdistick

High-quality quarter turn valve recommendation needed

Got the Apollo yesterday in the mail. It's really nice and beefy. Can't wait to put it in.
  12. makethatkerdistick

Jim, I doubt that's the reason for this, though. The valve I bought has NSF 61 approval and should be ok. When R8 flex duct for HVAC became the code here a few years back (or so), it took my Home Depot years to catch up and make it available. Until then, they kept selling non-code compliant...
  13. makethatkerdistick

Nope. Their website will prevent me from ordering it online. It's a regional thing. I don't have time to waste to discuss it with HD only to get boilerplate answers with no solutions. For a lot of plumbing supplies I like supplyhouse.com (got all my copper fittings and solder from them) but...
  14. makethatkerdistick

Thank you. Exactly what I needed. My local Home Depot doesn't have it nor is it available for delivery in my area. Just as always! For whatever reason, many products on their website aren't made available to my region of the country. I found the valve on Zoro and ordered it.
  15. makethatkerdistick

I am looking to add a 3/4 in quarter turn in-line valve to my main supply line. I am looking for a high-quality ball valve that will last and not leak for a long time. It needs to be sweat connection for copper and approved for potable water (i.e. low lead). All I can find at the local stores...
  16. makethatkerdistick

Arrowhead frost-free hose bib valve replacement - any alternative?

I have a 4 in Arrowhead 460 series frost-free wall hydrant. Unfortunately, I bought mine from Home Depot which only carries the one that has a vacuum breaker built into the valve assembly. At the time, I thought it was the plain version with a regular washer on the stem. This is the replacement...
  17. makethatkerdistick

Anode rod material and price?

Thanks for your reply, phog! I returned the expensive rod today and will order a traditional magnesium one online.
  18. makethatkerdistick

Anode rod material and price?

My local plumbing supply story sold me a $65 anode rod for my standard 40 gal. gas water heater. The rod contains an aluminum zinc alloy. I found cheaper ones online for about half that amount or less. Am I getting something magical with the more expensive rod? If not, I'll return it and order...
  19. makethatkerdistick

Replumbing slab house with copper through attic - crazy idea?

Seems like I will use soft 3/4 in copper type K to bury between my meter and the house. The run is about 40 feet. That way, I won't have any joints in the ground. Is there any problem with using soft copper for this application? I was also thinking about following the bedding material and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks