Search results

1. G

Long one - Need the "hammer" and tank(less) experts please

tankless and expansion tank I have a tankless (Takagi) with an indirect radiant heating system, in which a circulation pump takes water off of the HW heater, pumps it through a heat exchanger, and back to the hot water heater. The designer of the system speced an expansion tank before the...
  2. G

Moen 7400 series kitchen faucet

Issue with water shutting off Sorry, I cannot offer any real help -- I am looking for advice with what sounds like the same issue. I have a Bagvik (Ikea) faucet that only runs hot, and ceases to run at all in the cold position. I know that the problem is a little plastic insert in the inlet...
  3. G

Basement bathroom.

venting I'm not certain that I understand your diagram; is there a stack at the 2" location of the sink? (Middle of diagram). If not, is the only stack the 4" one that is 7.5 feet away? If this is the case, then the arrangement does not appear to be vented properly, and flushing the toilet...
  4. G

Drainback system?

lake well water problems I don't know why, exactly, but something like a "limestone tub" may be what is present; this is a big glacial lake. Wells in the area clearly are not being fed by the lake water; when excavators dig foundations, they hit the limestone layer very quickly. Wells...
  5. G

Drainback system?

water treatment question I have moved the filter downstream of the tank (I haven't finished the system, so this was trivial). I am going to put the UV light upstream of the tank -- will this take care of your concern about stuff growing in the tank? People here are split; some have a...
  6. G

Drainback system?

That's also a good idea - thanks. I cannot put in a shore well; the bottom of the lake near-shore is covered with large chuncks of limestone, and there is no access for a well. The people I've talked to (and the guy who installs them) says the filters last 2-4 years, depending on use (Cayuga...
  7. G

Drainback system?

The sleeve plus insulation is a great idea -- I'm going to try that. Most people in my area (Fingerlakes, NY) use an elec heat tape, but that will be difficult for me. I cannot drill a regular well; oddly enough, professionals in the area say that finding water is difficult near the lake...
  8. G

Drainback system?

Further design following comments OK -- here is the filter setup I am now considering; a 6" PVC housing on the lake bottom (12 ft of water), with a raised intake; this housing contains 2 20 micron filters (one on each side of the housing), and then goes to the pump. See...
  9. G

Drainback system?

One point of confusion I think I've got it, but do I need to install a draindown valve at the waterline? I had the installer defeat the stainless steel checkvalve on the pump when it was installed (as per the pump instructions). It seems like the water should just drain back through the pump...
  10. G

Drainback system?

Thanks -- I think I understand, but I was thinking of putting the check valve at the top of the line, in the house, to let air in; in this case, there should be no pressure, correct? Or will that not work?
  11. G

Drainback system?

I am building a new house, with a "lake well" for water. A submersible pump (Goulds, 10 gpm) on the lake bottom (about 15' under water, with a filter) supplies water to the house, which sits on the top of a 15-20' cliff. My contractor has indicated (as have the neighbors) that, because the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks