Search results

1. newbplumber

BEST way to join PVC & Cast Iron for service in ground

Thanks for your response Terry! What is the estimated life span of the coupling if the proper coupling is used and installed correctly?
  2. newbplumber

I still have an itch to use epoxy but all of your responses have steered me towards a rubber coupling. Basically something in the installation process went wrong. Either used incorrect couplings or installed them incorrectly. I'm a bit disappointed as the company who did this is highly regarded.
  3. newbplumber

Why is epoxy bad in this situation. Forgive me for not defaulting to the code, but it's been 7 years and all indications are that this was properly installed. I'm thinking anything involving a rubber sleeve (SS reinforced or not) tensioned with hose clamps has a life span shorter than 10 years...
  4. newbplumber

When you guys say per code, does code mean "best and most durable" or does code mean "viable due to economic nature of solution." Because given the quote for tunneling my sewage lines (& basic PVC repair) was $5 grand, I'm thinking code isn't up to snuff. Codes are written to offer viable...
  5. newbplumber

Mistakenly cut out section of PVC drain pipe when removing closet flange

+1. I would mask off that split and epoxy that puppy.
  6. newbplumber

I recently tunneled under my house to repair a broken PVC sewer line from the toilet. While I was down there I noticed other joints leaking. All the leaking joints are connections between PVC & cast iron. A rubber sleeve is slipped over both and about 4-6 hose clamps are used on each joint...
  7. newbplumber

Toilet Seal Done Wrong, Trying to Fix

To summarize the problem: Sewer gas smell was leaking into the house. Process summary: I had good indication based on strength of smell that it was coming from master bathroom (either toilet, shower, or sink). As basic starting point I started with toilet. I removed it and the wax ring. From...
  8. newbplumber

Probably would have gone a little easier with the pvc cutter but a small hacksaw and big screw driver did the job pretty well. The bottom of the break line is about flush with the dirt. There may be 1/4" before the elbow bend but maybe not. At this point I'm thinking I should dig it out. Even...
  9. newbplumber

I did not know those fittings existed and the ID is 3". The only hiccup to this solution is the break being angled through the coupling. I'm not sure there will be enough meat on the elbow to take an insert or allow for a RamBit. Tomorrow I will dig out the remaining broken pieces knowing now...
  10. newbplumber

Yes, the 4 vertical cuts are from where I used my reciprocating saw to remove the glued on flange. The gap you see where the straight pipe hits the bend is the damage. You can see in most pictures how the straight pipe is offset from the elbow, I tried to exaggerate this gap the best I could for...
  11. newbplumber

So, I think I've answered my own question here. Due to the request for pics I noticed the break in the PVC is not as clean as I originally thought. And the theory of the PVC crack's origin seems to have shifted from "foundation movement" to "tree roots". One things for sure, we have certainly...
  12. newbplumber

Basically, someone glued in the toilet seal to the house plumbing. The foundation shifted (presumably) and the house plumbing (PVC) split into 2 pieces. The split is about 6" deep into the slab foundation. Part of the split includes the very top section of a 90 deg elbow and extends through that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks