Search results

1. CindyJ

Is it okay to have an in-sink disposal with a septic system?

We've been living in our home for nearly 40 years. We've always had a septic system and we added a new one a few years ago. We have the tank pumped out every few years. My husband and I are empty nesters, so the system is really not "overworked." Although we've never had an in-sink disposal...
  2. CindyJ

Funky-ish odor in kitchen sink

Just to follow up -- Problem Solved!!! To Terry and everyone else who replied to my post and helped me to sound smarter than I actually am regarding plumbing matters -- I cannot thank you enough! The plumber (and a helper) were here. They removed the S-trap, installed a P-trap and installed...
  3. CindyJ

The plumber will be here either tomorrow or next week to correct the plumbing by replacing the S-trap with a P-trap. The venting will connect (through the basement) with the main stack that vents up and out the roof. Am I correct in assuming that an AAV would still need to be installed under...
  4. CindyJ

If my last post came across sounding like I was looking for approval for the plumbing, that was my fault for not being clear enough. I came here to get clarification so that when I call the owner of the company that did my kitchen renovation, I can sound fairly informed. Up until now I've...
  5. CindyJ

Terry -- thanks once again for your input. My husband did hang that dishwasher hose higher in the cabinet, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just a bit of clarification on a few points, please. (1) You say to, "Pull a permit and the plumbing inspector can clue in your handyhack." I don't...
  6. CindyJ

To follow up... I had a lengthy conversation with the plumber who did the work in my kitchen renovation. He doesn't seem to think that an AAV will solve the problem because he feels it's more likely caused by a clog in the venting somewhere in the house. I had forgotten until he reminded me...
  7. CindyJ

Thanks so much! This is all very helpful.
  8. CindyJ

The new sinks are pretty much an updated version of what I had previously. My husband thinks it might have something to do with where the dishwasher is connected in relation to where the trap is. I hope this photo gives you a good idea of the plumbing configuration. And FWIW, we have well...
  9. CindyJ

About 3 months ago, we had a kitchen renovation completed. Included in the renovation were a new double-bowl sink and new dishwasher. The new sink is about 24" from where the old sink was situated, so the sink plumbing was shifted accordingly. About two weeks after all was completed, I started...
  10. CindyJ

Need help choosing a kitchen faucet

We're remodeling our kitchen and I'm looking for a pull-down faucet for my kitchen sink. I'd like one that has a "toggle" on-off setting for the spray feature. I'm told that Grohe will be coming out with a new Ladylux3 faucet with that feature sometime next year, but not knowing when that...
  11. CindyJ

New Toto toilets don't flush like the 35 year-old ones did

We just redid 3 bathrooms in the house and replaced the three 35 year old toilets with Toto toilets -- two Ultramax II with CEFIONTECT, and one Promenade with CEFIONTECT. I've gotta say, their flushing capabilities leave a lot to be desired. Having to flush several times defeats the whole...
  12. CindyJ

Replacement Toilet for small half bath

We just redid a very small powder room as well as two small full bathrooms. In the powder room, we were concerned about the distance from the toilet to the facing wall, which is only about 4 feet. After looking at specs for many toilets, we chose the Toto Promenade with a round bowl for that...
  13. CindyJ

How to increase water pressure/flow in showerheads

Yes, that was the flow through the showerhead. I'll have to wait until the weekend to test the flow without it. I'll have to get clarification regarding what would blow at 75 PSI. He said something about water spraying out. I'll find out.
  14. CindyJ

Is the restriction you're referring to in the valve, or is it in the showerhead? I don't think there's anything that can be modified in the valve, and even with the restriction removed from the showerhead, the flow rate is still only about 2.5 GPM. Are you saying that that flow rate is okay...
  15. CindyJ

When I asked the plumber about increasing the system pressure from 40-60 PSI to 50-70 PSI he told me that the system would "blow" at 75, so increasing it wouldn't be a good idea. Part of what I'm up against is that I have no way of knowing if what he's telling me is correct and accurate.
  16. CindyJ

So when I asked the plumber (who is here right now) specifically about the reduced flow rate with CPVC, he said yes, it's less, but not so much that it would be noticeable. It's his assertion that it's the design of the showerhead, itself, even with the flow restrictor removed, that is...
  17. CindyJ

My plumber is here now and I've been discussing the pressure problem with him. He removed the Kohler Pressure Balancing Valve, took a close look at it and told me he doesn't see how an adequate supply of water could possibly flow through such small holes. I told him that that model has a 5.0...
  18. CindyJ

When you say "static pressure," does that mean a consistent water pressure as opposed to water pressure that fluctuates when the pump turns on and off?
  19. CindyJ

I went down to the basement and the good news is that there is 3/4" pipe running from the filter to various places in the house. Or maybe it's just news, not necessarily good news because I don't know the size of the original copper pipe that was replaced with CPVC. What is still unknown is...
  20. CindyJ

Okay -- I did the "bucket test." I should mention that my husband has removed the flow restrictors on both the stationary and hand-held showerheads. I ran two tests. The first one ran at 2.3 GPM, the second one was 2.5 GPM. I'm guessing that the variation was due to the cycling of the pump...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks