Search results

1. Ponder

Need Advice On This Water Service Entrance

I just got back to digging up the pipe. I found the alleged 2" PVC. It is actually 1.5 inch pipe. :mad: The transition to 1" Pex is 15 feet from the house. Here's my question. I plan on installing a couple garden hydrants and a shutoff. I have essentially two choices. 1. Put a Tee in...
  2. Ponder

HydroValve Brand At Pex Supply

I'm not. I need to order some Pex supplies and some copper supplies, including valves. Pex Supply sells both. Whenever possible, I like to keep the number of suppliers to a minimum. It helps keep the shipping charges to a minimum, if nothing else.
  3. Ponder

HydroValve Brand At Pex Supply

I'm putting together an order for some items from Pex Supply. The sweat-on valves they carry are labeled HydoValve. No one else seems to carry them, so that makes them their house brand. Anyone know anything about that brand? Thanks.
  4. Ponder

A very long run from the meter.

Any Pro should automatically install a tracer wire, but checking to make sure he will/does isn't a bad idea. Don't count on using it yourself, though. Tracers cost $2,000 on up. That doesn't mean you don't need to install one if you dig the line yourself. The tracer wire needs to be there if...
  5. Ponder

OK, but do you get "hot" (tepid) water in the summer?
  6. Ponder

Yep. Attached is the result of a lot of careful digging in four foot of heavy wet clay on the other side of that wall. The blue Pex and the copper are 3/4".
  7. Ponder

I know a guy that puts in and maintains rural water lines for a living. He said his company has 2" mains that are as long as two miles on thinly populated side roads. My line is in clay with very few rocks. It goes under several small creeks, only one of which is seasonal. I don't know that...
  8. Ponder

PEX to copper

If your attic temperature drops to freezing or below, you will have problems. As I recall, Austin does get below freezing at times. While the Pex may not split as easily as copper, you will still have frozen pipes, and they may split.
  9. Ponder

Coincidentally, I have the thread right below yours. Our run is right around 1/4 mile. Supposedly, the builder used two inch pipe, but I have not been able to confirm it yet. Watch out for the depth. 18 inches may be below the frost line, but it will get you hot water in summer and freezing cold...
  10. Ponder

Hello, I need some suggestions on dealing with this water service entrance. The incoming supply is one inch Pex. The PRV is a Watts, which does not seem to be regulating well. It is mounted too close to the wall to remove without prior disassembly. The copper transitions to Pex at the top...