Search results

1. OldPete

PEX in salty environment

Just got off the phone with my Uponor rep. Question: If you have a job where you have to make a connection to a water supply line, and this connection is on occasion flooded with salt water (crawl space that occasionally, say 6 times a year or more) gets flooded with salt water would you...
  2. OldPete

Water service line from street...

I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options? It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip...
  3. OldPete

Electrically Actuated Full Port Brass Ball Valve 3/4"

I'm trying to find an: ELECTRICALLY Actuated Ball Valve made of either brass or stainless that is full port and 3/4". I found one, it is $375... I have to figure that there has to be a better price? This one is triggered by a SPDT switch... and seems very fancy for what I need. I...
  4. OldPete

Water Flow "Alarm" ?

I don't know if I'm going to explain this right... but here is what I'm searching for. I would like a gizmo that after 'x' number of gallons pass through it, it shuts the water off. The purpose here is I've got a location that is prone to pipe cracking and I would like to avoid having a...
  5. OldPete

OK for shower head but not for tub spout?

As per Uponor/Wirsbo documentation: When doing a shower/tub valve -- you can use PEX for the hot and cold supply and for the leg that goes from the shower head but NOT to the tub spout. Ok, why?
  6. OldPete

Armacell Armaflex + Pex + Joist = ?

So you've done a nice neat PEX job. And, like a good plumber would, you want to protect and insulate with the best... Armaflex from Armacell... now -- you come up to a run that is talon clipped to a joist. No way to get the Armaflex around the pipe. But you STILL would like to protect it...
  7. OldPete

Brass or Plastic?

I'm curious as to how many professional plumbers here use brass PEX fittings or if you use mostly plastic? If so, what's the reason? Cost?
  8. OldPete

PEX and tight turns...

When doing a job where PEX is being used and you need to use a 90* instead of just bending the pex (tight spot), how confident do you feel about this fitting or do you try to avoid them. If you try to avoid them is it because you are concerned about the fitting failing or the cost? There...
  9. OldPete

Overexpansion of ProPex (Wirsbo/Uponor)

I'm in the middle of a little debate I'd like some of the professionals (or anyone) here to answer. If Uponor's ProPex Expansion, when used with say, PexhE or AquaPex, is over expanded and then place on the fitting to the proper shoulder limit, if you allow that expansion to contract, will...
  10. OldPete

Question...

Found this question on another forum -- thought I'd ask it here: --- Ok, here's my plumbing question: I've got this noise coming from my basement. It's a vibration that comes and goes throughout the day. WAIT - don't say "water hammer" yet, read the rest of the problem! It seems to...
  11. OldPete

PEX and NG...

I've been reading that Australia allows (?) natural gas to be PEX'ed and I'm wondering why we don't (that is correct, we don't??)... I really don't know much about PEX when it comes to gas and thought it would make for an interesting conversation... Pete
  12. OldPete

Angle Shower head question.

I've got a 32"x60" shower... surrounded by glass on three sides. The non-glass side is a 60" side. The shower arm is located on this 60" side. It is located 10" from the edge (the glass wall to the left). I would like to know if there is a 90 degree bend that I can put on the end of the...
  13. OldPete

G'Darnit! -- Need some quick help.

I have an American Standard R015 valve body. That I need to extend. According to American Standard the Deep rough-in kit that I have the M961818-***x is only for the pressure balanced models (R110, R115, etc.) -- the Deep Rough-In kit will not mate to the R015. Short of pulling things apart...
  14. OldPete

Hush pipe!

Here's a problem the professionals probably get asked all to often. When installing a 3" PVC inside of a 2x4 stud wall, how do you insulate it? There is no room left. Thanks, Pete P.S. short of doing the wall in a 2x6 or firing it out...
  15. OldPete

Valve body and Plater Guard question...

Valve body and Plaster Guard question... Does anyone here know if on an American Standard single handle shower valve body: Why do we want to cut the hole the size of the plaster guard instead of the size of the valve? Is there some kind of interference with the trimplate that requires this?
  16. OldPete

Andersen Frenchwood Slider Question...

Hi, I have had a new Andersen Frenchwood Sliding (Slider) door professionally installed. When it rains water collects in the threshold about 1/2". I removed the sliding panel and compared everything to the directions that came with the door, and the stationary panel. I noted that the weather...
  17. OldPete

3/4" Extension Kit...

Hi, Could somebody please tell me exactly what an American Standard 3/4" Extension Kit does? Thanks, Pete
  18. OldPete

Two Drains...

I have a drain that goes to my tub and one that goes to my shower. When I drain the tub I see a slight "bubbling/gurgling" in the drain of the shower. When it is all over there is still plenty of water in the trap of the shower, but I'm curious if this is normal or not. There is no chance for...
  19. OldPete

Fine thread on drain shoe question.

What kind of thread prep do folks recommend for the fine thread? Can one still use teflon tape? Thanks for any advice, Pete
  20. OldPete

Direct Drain Bath Tub Question

Please help me get to the bottom of this. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks! I have this unit: American Standard 1599.205 which is the Overflow Drain for their whirlpools. This drain is set up for horizontal draining only. The toe-pop-up drain screws into the fitting @ the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks