Search results

1. Pkin

Do I need cleanout?

I edited the original post to make sense.
  2. Pkin

Do I need cleanout?

Hi All, This is an edit of the original post which didn't make sense ... sorry. I am wondering whether or not I should add a cleanout on a drain line. In the picture below, I extended an existing shower drain from about 3' long to about 10' long. (It was under a slab, and the existing...
  3. Pkin

Beneath slab drain problems

Thanks for the help
  4. Pkin

Thanks, Terry. What do you think about capping off the old toilet connection?
  5. Pkin

Thanks, John. Can I do this with a "double fixture" to eliminate the S trap?
  6. Pkin

The attached diagrams show the existing design, and the proposed new design with relocated toilet. Any comments please?
  7. Pkin

Thanks anyone for their input on this project. In another post I described how I got the point shown in the pic. Basically, I found some corrosion at a shower drain, then followed it back (with the jackhammer) to this area where I found holes in the bottom of the 2" lines left of the toilet...
  8. Pkin

Keep or replace old cast iron under slab?

I continued excavating to inspect the bottoms of these lines. I found a hole on the bottom side of one of the fittings in the middle of the mess. If I would have left it alone, encased in tight-packed dirt, having sat there for 40 + years, would it really have mattered if the drain channel...
  9. Pkin

Keep or replace old cast iron under slab?

I'm in the process of moving a drain in the basement of my 42-year-old home where the drain plumbing is under a slab. The pipe I was working on (a 2" shower drain line) was completely corroded through, so I started excavating. Now I've exposed the entire system near the project site, and its...
  10. Pkin

Corroded 2" Drain Pipe Under Slab

I dug up the rest of the pipe and it was shot. The inside of the sanitary tee is corroded about 70%, but still solid. I moved this thread to a new one "keep or replace old cast iron under slab"
  11. Pkin

Would an expert plumber just excavate everything beneath the wet wall and plan to replace everything? The wall separates two bathrooms and there is a load of DWV plumbing connecting beneath the slab: two tubs, two showers, two sinks... and there are two vent lines and a 3" drain from the...
  12. Pkin

I cut back a few more inches. The pipe is much thinner at the bottom than at the top with the start of a crack along the bottom down the axis of the pipe. WTF ... the house is only 42 years old. Why would they build homes with buried pipe beneath the home that only lasts 40 years? Now I...
  13. Pkin

I need advice about how to proceed with a plumbing problem. I finally got up the nerve to jack-hammer the slab in my basement to begin a project to move a shower drain. It now looks like that was the easy part ... when I removed the P-trap to extend the drain line, the trap snapped in two. I...
  14. Pkin

Flat Vent

Tom, Thanks for this post. I have exactly the problem depicted in your original drawing and I was hoping to do it the way the drawing shows, but now I am going to figure something else out.
  15. Pkin

Wet Vent Under Slab

OK ... an actual wet vent would be allowed because debris could be washed out. Now I get it. And that means that the following pattern is NOT allowed ( from "Plumbing a House", by Peter Hemp, Taunton Press, 1998.) Thanks.
  16. Pkin

Wet Vent Under Slab

Thanks for the help!
  17. Pkin

Wet Vent Under Slab

Thanks for your consideration. I have 8' not 5' so I need to add a vent closer to the new trap. Can I run a vent horizontal as shown in the drawing as long as I plumb it as if it were a drain and keep the vent sloped at 1/4" per foot? And do I need a cleanout somewhere upstream of the shower...
  18. Pkin

Wet Vent Under Slab

Regarding adding a cleanout upstream of the shower drain, it seems like its required, but I don't understand why a clog couldn't be removed by simply running a snake through the drain. So maybe its not required?
  19. Pkin

Wet Vent Under Slab

Vent Under Slab Hello All, I would like to move a shower drain that is located under a slab in my home: I am planning to move the shower drain by removing the existing shower trap and extending the 2" line. At the new position the drain will be about 8' from the existing vent, and so I am...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks