Search results

1. Bluebinky

Homemade portapotty

Hi Terry. Cool pics, they make me really miss those days... Occasionally, nice properties go up for sale on Maury/Vashon Islands. The only one I see currently to my possible liking is MLS 1553562 -- probably a tear down and it seems kinda over priced. I guess it depends on what you want -- if I...
  2. Bluebinky

Homemade portapotty

Hi everyone. It's been a while, but as usual, I have a really off the wall question... I'm about to apply for permits to build a new beach house for the family (Seattle area). The lot is somewhat isolated in that there is no driveway or adjacent road. From the parking area, it's about a 300...
  3. Bluebinky

GFCI protected stickers

Doh, I posted this in the wrong forum. How to move a thread?
  4. Bluebinky

GFCI protected stickers

Sorry, my questions just keep getting dumber and dumber... I just changed out my old Zinsco panel (that went bzzzt in the night) for a Square D. These new plug on neutral panels make it look easy. The inspector was happy with the work. However, when he then pointed to the pile of new...
  5. Bluebinky

Ground rods next to basement foundation

AHJ says two ground rods (6 feet apart) as close as I like to the basement wall, without hitting the footing, of course. There is no perimeter drain... Thanks everyone.
  6. Bluebinky

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. This is a 60 year old house, and I know where everything is (grew up here). I have a ground resistance meter, but the city wants two rods, and doesn't care about the readings. I'm tempted to drive them through holes in the basement floor, but the 7 1/2...
  7. Bluebinky

Thanks. I'll try to get downtown and ask the inspector. I'm just wondering if I missed something in the code about an adjacent basement wall vs, say, slab on grade...
  8. Bluebinky

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted... While preparing to replace my 50 year old Zinsco panel, I discovered that the entire house is ungrounded. No ground rods and the original galvanized water service is long gone and now plastic. The panel is inside the basement and the meter is...
  9. Bluebinky

What are your plans for the New Year? A Poll

Me too. Moving back in "home" in June.
  10. Bluebinky

Is this idea workable

Not a pro, but... At 1/4 inch per foot, 12 inches or rise gives you 48 feet of run. Of course not being there makes it impossible to say for sure. Are you measuring from bellow the slab, or above? You may not have to worry about inspections or even permits. That's fine. However it is really...
  11. Bluebinky

Trying to fix bathroom sink..

Or, just pry it out first and then use a plastic female adapter. You'll want to clean up the threads first...
  12. Bluebinky

Building code tutorial

Hi hj. It's been a while. Not looking for a flame ware here, like I used to have with JW. Just looking for a more direct path than just the raw code books, but not some random book by Bob Villa. There a a couple of books by Francis D. K. Ching that look interesting. Anybody like those? Over the...
  13. Bluebinky

Building code tutorial

Thanks, Stuff. I have the code check series and it has been helpful. I'm in the planning stages of a major partial tear-down/remodel and am looking for something a lot more thorough. The potential for having to redo an expensive mistake is just too high in this case. Also facing a new set of...
  14. Bluebinky

Building code tutorial

Anyone know of a good building code (IRC?) book with illustrations like the illustrated training manual for the UPC? I found something on Amazon, but it had a one star rating because it didn't have any tables. This is for Washington State, if it matters. Thanks.
  15. Bluebinky

Sewer Lateral Questions/Recommendations

Not a pro, but here's my take... The slope should be as uniform as practical, and always a minimum of 2%. You may be required to use 6 inch pipe for such a long run (my AHJ would require it, or possibly even 8 inch which would be a huge royal pain in Washington State with an easement, real...
  16. Bluebinky

Help identify this pipe

Seen that used for swimming pools and spas.
  17. Bluebinky

Trap Hookup Advice in '60s Bathroom

I'm not a pro and it's hard to see to without being there, but I would probably cut the trap arm a tad bit so it could line up and ditch the flex. Oh wait, I just noticed it's a one-piece arm and trap. Like Highlander said, that's your problem.
  18. Bluebinky

To flush or not to flush: Plumbers warn of drain dangers at home, in city

I hate ISEs -- smelly, dirty, noisy, jambs, and clogs. Never could see the point. A quality easily accessible garbage can -- now you're talkin...
  19. Bluebinky

Gas pipe has no gas coming out

Are you saying that the valve is "gutted" and covered back up somehow but nothing comes out of the small holes in the log lighter? If so, is the horizontal pipe in the fireplace clogged up with ashes?
  20. Bluebinky

Most common plumbing service calls that could have been DIY

If you believe Amazon, some day soon "Alexa" will be able to help you diagnose many simple plumbing problems. Since they think I am to old and stupid to work for them directly, should I "help" them in my copious spare time?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks