Search results

1. Finnegan

Magnet to retrieve cast iron piece...

It sounds like you got most of it out. Anything remaining will probably just get washed out.
  2. Finnegan

Finish Nailers for Light to Medium Use

I have a Porter Cable finish nailer that shoots 3/4 - 2 1/2 inch nales. No problems. I forget the model number, but it is a pretty popular model.
  3. Finnegan

When you just cant run a vent to the new basement bathroom

It will most likely work just fine. You can always add an air admittance valve in the basement as well. However, this installation will not likely satisfy any code. I believe most ejectors call for a dedicated vent and exclude using an AAV for this. So, I think you have described a plan that...
  4. Finnegan

Lead wool...

The riser clamps should take care of it. Also, if the upside down hub is in a vent portion, then there is not much of a risk of leakage even if you disturb the seal a bit.
  5. Finnegan

Type M copper in basement

I used type L in my house by choice rather than requirement. However, with the price of copper rising by the day, I would probably use type M today.
  6. Finnegan

Orphaned gas water heater... what to do?

Check with your local building department. In my municipality, when you install a direct vent boiler leaving a water heater alone on a chimney, they make the installer certify that the water heater alone produces enough draft for the chimney. I am not sure if this requirement is justified by...
  7. Finnegan

bathroom exhaust fan

Panasonic fans are great.
  8. Finnegan

Shower drain placement

You can put the drain wherever you want, but it just makes it a little harder to install the pan and finished tile. In your situation, the short area behind the drain will have a steep pitch for a shower, but if you are ok with that then don't worry about it.
  9. Finnegan

Presure test

Can you just turn the water on?
  10. Finnegan

house wrap for unfinished space

Your plan is fine as far as a weather barrier is concerned, but as Jad pointed out, vapor barriers serve one purpose and Tyvek type products serve another. If you like the T-111 and it is weather-tight, you can leave it alone and finish the interior space as you would any other space.
  11. Finnegan

house wrap for unfinished space

I am not sure of the situation you are describing. Do you have a walk out basement?
  12. Finnegan

secondary vent stack ending in attic

While the pipe smells like a plumbing vent, are you sure that the previous owner did not run an empty conduit fromt he basement up the attic just in case he had to fish electrical wires in the future? The easisest solution would be to add an air admittance valve on top of the suspected DWV vent...
  13. Finnegan

Renovate clawfoot tub

They make epoxy paints for your purpose, but I doubt anyone will recommend them. You can have the tub professionally reporcelenized which will look good, but as someone else pointed out, the new finish will not be as durable as the original. You might want to consider refinishing the exterior...
  14. Finnegan

Replacing iron waste pipe with PVC ??

I doubt anyone will have a problem with pvc. Cast iron is great for reducing noise, but if you are replacing basement waste pipes, there is no reason not to use pvc.
  15. Finnegan

Utility room drain design

I would give some thought to the trap design. I do not know what your heating season is, but that trap will likely go some time without receiving any water. In order to avoid losing your trap seal, you will need a self priming trap. Though, I have seen a new device that uses a sort of curled...
  16. Finnegan

Leaking swivel joint on chrome trap

First, make sure the pipes are aligned and that the gasket is in place. Check to make sure the gasket is not deformed or defective. Next, try not tightening it quite so tight. Perhaps the gasket was squeezed out of the joint. You can try a little pipe dope or dish detergent to lubricate the...
  17. Finnegan

i want to get rid of 2 of 10 leach lines from my septic system

I am with Bob. Around here (NJ) they would probably freak out if you were doing anything to disturb the leech field much less the lines themself. I am sure that any town around here would want at least an engineer's report. Though, those are pretty long lines, so you likely would not have any...
  18. Finnegan

i want to get rid of 2 of 10 leach lines from my septic system

I have no advice for you, but I have to ask, why?
  19. Finnegan

Kitchen sink drain outlet

It sounds more complex than it probably really is. I say probably because you never know what you will find in a wall until you actually start cutting. However, If your trap arm fits into a galvanized branch line, you should be able to cut in a new sanitary t with banded couplings without too...
  20. Finnegan

Insulating Pipes

Is there any real advantage of using foam pipe insulation on cold water pipes to reduce sweating and hot water and heating pipes when those pipes will be in fiberglass insulated walls? I am seeing more interior walls insulated today to reduce sound transmission. Is it a waste to use foam pipe...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks