Search results

1. LarryLeveen

Leaking toilet tank mounting bolt — uneven tank walls/QC

Interesting. Our kit came with enough metal washers to put under all nuts AND the bold heads so I used them all. I figured that would help distribute the force on the rubber washers more, but I think I see that you are advising that the bolt head actually bite directly into the rubber washer to...
  2. LarryLeveen

No Heat(er vents) in 2nd Floor of Older Home

That's very kind of you to offer! So, we just moved into our house and the gas company who supplies our gas refused to share the previous owner's data with us (I always thought we had a legal right to that info, but maybe I'm wrong). Fortunately, I just texted the previous owner who — works for...
  3. LarryLeveen

Thanks y'all. While I don't understand half the jargon slung around in the replies, the overall message seems clear — start with good foundational data from a thorough home energy audit with blower door and duct testing, inspection, etc. , then make a prioritized plan of attack, likely starting...
  4. LarryLeveen

Leaking toilet tank mounting bolt — uneven tank walls/QC

Heya. New house to us has leaky tank. Bought replacement kit and installed per directions. Leak NOT FIXED! Flashlight and investigation shows the likely culprit — on one side, the nut is not making nice, even contact on the metal washer and providing even pressure on the rubber seals on the...
  5. LarryLeveen

Troubleshooting Dead Outlets in Detached Workshop

Forgot to follow up on this. I tracked the right part down and bought it. Worth the $ to not hurt someone or have liability or the building burn down. Plus, we sold that house — and now have an entirely NEW ratnest of problems I'm posting about on these fine forums. Thanks for the help y'all!
  6. LarryLeveen

Small Holes in Gas Furnace and Water Heater Exhaust Pipes

Thanks. Glad to know there wasn't a shootout in the basement! ;)
  7. LarryLeveen

Small Holes in Gas Furnace and Water Heater Exhaust Pipes

I was surprised to see a small hole in each of the exhaust pipes for the gas furnace and water heater in my new-to-me house. Is there any reason why there would be a hole in an exhaust pipe like this? I certainly have never heard of one. They almost look intentional — or accidental but...
  8. LarryLeveen

I just moved into an older (1918) 1,250 sq.ft., 1.5 story home in Tacoma, WA. Forced air gas furnace seems to work really well on the main floor (see pix of unit's "badge" at end of message), but there are no heater vents upstairs and we are curious about our options and what might be...
  9. LarryLeveen

Air Bubble Causing Weak Flush Action?

A toilet in the house we rent has a weak flush. I looked at many of the usual things and cleaned the siphon and bowl jets. I observed the flush action with the lid off and saw a large air bubble by the tank seal opposing the downward movement of the tank water into the bowl. Have folks...
  10. LarryLeveen

Single Bang and Reduced Flow in Hot Water

Huh, just stumbled across this video. Listen to what he says about OVERSIZE hot water washers swelling under heat and cutting off flow. Think this is the problem? Sorry the audio is so bad.
  11. LarryLeveen

When turning on the hot water to the shower — to let things heat up — it appears to have normal flow for around 30 seconds. Then, the flow drops to a trickle (sometimes accompanied by a single banging noise and not a repeated hammering noise), and one has to really crank it up to get any decent...
  12. LarryLeveen

While visiting a friend, I took a shower and noticed a single distinct bang and great reduction in the flow of water from the hot water tap. What might cause this and how is it remedied? Is it causing harm to their plumbing? Thanks.
  13. LarryLeveen

Venting Outside Door to Propane Water Heater "Shed"

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the ideal forum to post this in. Feel free to redirect me to another forum. There is a rental cottage on our property that has an "external shed" attached to it. Does the door (removed in this photo because I need to strip and repaint it) need to have a vent...
  14. LarryLeveen

OVAL shaped sink drain

LOL!! After some exhaustive searching online, I think the problem is between the conical mack washer and the threads on the drain. I saw several mentions of putting putty on the drain threads (or even thread dope) to help seal between washer and drain. It's a bummer that the ovalized basin hole...
  15. LarryLeveen

OVAL shaped sink drain

I should add that the basin's drain hole (where the flange mates up) IS round. The hole that is out-of-round is in the lower/outer wall of the basin, where the conical seal contacts it.
  16. LarryLeveen

OVAL shaped sink drain

Changing the drain and pop-up for a bathroom sink. Whoa, the hole in the bottom of the sink is not round, but rather OVAL in shape (good grief, can NOTHING be simple in this house?!). The seal from the old drain clearly shows that it has been mated (under the pressure of a locknut) into a...
  17. LarryLeveen

Bakelite Box Heck

The receptacle mounting holes in a bakelite electrical box in my house are stripped. This is a different box than the one I recently posted about. Replacing the box is a pain in the butt so I'd like to avoid doing that...
  18. LarryLeveen

Loose electrical box conundrum

Just following up to let you know that I could not find #6x2" screws to try out my otherwise ingenious "wing box extension". Instead, I found success with the first of the two box types you mentioned...
  19. LarryLeveen

The CDOW-TG-25 looks like it might indeed work -- even if I have to nip off the tops of the two moving clamp ears (again, weird top vs. bottom thickness issue that I can't show via pix). Gonna try my extendo-flip-wing box first, but it's nice to know there might be a few other options. The...
  20. LarryLeveen

If I am understanding you right, the battleship straps can probably indeed be crooked and still work fine. I'm less psyched about their holding power than mounting designs that clamp under the tension of fasteners. Am I missing something? In my original post I mentioned that the hole for this...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks