Search results

1. depawl

Alternative to Super Iron Out - horrific smell when used in softener

Just as a belated update It appears that the odor in my water was being cause by the uv light. After unplugging the light, the odor vanished. I've ordered a new uv bulb but I'm skeptical as to whether that would resolve the problem, the old one had less than a year on it.
  2. depawl

Should the water softener be bypassed when sanitizing the well? i.e. will the chlorine harm the softener media?
  3. depawl

Update: So I got a gallon of the Neutra Sul, and have tried adding a cup to the bring tank prior to the regeneration cycle for the last 5 or 6 times, and after regeneration for a day or so the water is fine, but then the odor returns. So unless anyone has any other suggestions, looks like I'm...
  4. depawl

Oh, and btw, Whirlpool makes a water softener cleaner, which looks and smells like Windex. I gave that a try but it made no difference as far as removing the odor.
  5. depawl

OK I'll give the chlorine a try in the softener. Yes I am on a well, but have not sanitized it. I also have a uv light. I'll look into Res-Up and/or ResCare. I do not plan to use IO again. Thanks.
  6. depawl

Sorry I didn't give a lot of detail. I have a Whirlpool WHES33 LE33 softener. I have historically used Iron Out (now SIO) every 3 to 4 months as directed (1/2 cup dissolved in a gallon of water, dumped into the brine well before regeneration). I have never had any issues other than maybe a...
  7. depawl

I realize this is a very old thread, which I just came across, but I'm experiencing exactly the same problem (bad odor in water) after adding SIO to my softener, and numerous regenerations have not corrected it. As the original poster stated, it appears to be gaseous, as it goes away after a few...
  8. depawl

Warped Toilet Flange

I was wondering about grinding down the high spots on the existing flange with a belt sander. I was concerned about weakening it, but maybe I'll give that a try. Also is it recommended to apply silicone to the existing flange when adding a metal repair ring of this type?
  9. depawl

Warped Toilet Flange

I was concerned that by screwing down the repair ring it would also become warped, or if it wasn't screwed down tight then there would be a void between the flange and the repair ring.
  10. depawl

Warped Toilet Flange

I know this is a common problem and I've scoured this and other forums but have yet to find an answer. After removing an old toilet I discovered that the PVC toilet flange was warped, undoubtedly due to the previous owner over tightening the flange bolts. I've now tiled the floor and need to...
  11. depawl

Bath Fan Wiring

This circuit is on a GFCI breaker, so according to what you said everything is on the load side and should be OK, correct?
  12. depawl

Bath Fan Wiring

Thanks. How would one determine if "Both hot and neutral come from the "line" side of the gfci receptacle"?
  13. depawl

Bath Fan Wiring

Hello all. When wiring a bath exhaust fan with light, and wanting to have the fan and light on separate switches, can one run a common neutral wire (e.g. 12/3)? This is an LED light that will be on a dimmer, and it's a GFCI circuit. Thanks.
  14. depawl

Bath Fan Installation Question

Hello. As part of a bathroom remodel getting ready to install a new vent fan and had pretty much decided on a Panasonic or higher end NuTone. The installation notes on these say: "Fits 2 x 6 Construction" or "Fits 2 x 8 or larger joist". Wondering exactly what this means, as the bottom chord of...
  15. depawl

Noisy Kohler Faucet

I have a two year old Kohler kitchen faucet model K-12176 (Fairfax collection). Whenever I use the sprayer, the faucet makes a loud whining noise. Any ideas what could cause this and what the repair would involve? I've seen that parts are available on the Kohler site, but don't know where to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks