Search results

1. jdf405

Clothes dryer - cycling thermostat question

Got a question about a pretty standard gas clothes dryer. It's a Maytag sdg2606aww and has only air-fluff, delicate, and regular temperature settings. I'd really like to knock the heat down a bit as it's really rough on our synthetics - things like spandex yoga pants, cycling clothes, elastic...
  2. jdf405

Camping Question - ground sleeping pad

Hope this isn't too far off "sports" topic... looking for a clever solution / contraption... When we (me + wife + 2 kids) go car camping we've found that using a 2" memory foam topper makes the most awesome ground pad for sleeping on in our tent. The downside is wrestling the thing in and...
  3. jdf405

Electric Motor - ID / replacement help

Yes, Grainger does sell to anyone with money. I started looking there but I don't know how to whittle the search down from a bazillion motors to a couple dozen or so that I could actually browse.
  4. jdf405

lol, glad you enjoyed!
  5. jdf405

Yeah, spot on question. I have 3 large dormer style vents, full length ridge vent, and sofit vents. Obviously I don't want to put much pressure up there and start blowing dust into the house through cracks and lose efficiency on the more powerful fan.
  6. jdf405

Hehe, yeah, that's usually the case. My childhood home had a 36" jet engine from a Boeing 777 and it used to suck the furnace pilot light right out in the basement all the way from the attic. But... my house is fairly small and the attic tiny, so I got a pretty compact unit that only sucks...
  7. jdf405

Greetings. I've got a whole house fan that has this motor and I want to upgrade the motor to a modestly more powerful version. The manufacturer sells the fan kits with larger motors in the same side duct / housing etc... but they will not sell the motor by itself (and the whole kit is quite...
  8. jdf405

Check valves in hot water recirc loop

Ha, yeah, right. It may. Or it may not. It works. Its quiet. Let it go buddy.
  9. jdf405

Just circling back on this after several months... pun sorta intended. Finally replaced the two swing check valves with a pair of spring check (3/4", threaded) and the system works perfectly. NO noise. Recirc works exactly as designed and it is silent. Very happy :-)
  10. jdf405

Thanks again Terry! Gonna get me some spring checks and be done with it!
  11. jdf405

I understand what you're saying. Lets talk about the type of check valve I have in there and how it closes. These have no spring or self closing feature; I inspected them prior to installation. They require gravity (or reverse flow) to close the flapper / check. Therefore, I contend that it...
  12. jdf405

How do you propose the check valves be closed when the pump is off? (Type / design of valve, gravity, etc...?) I am posing my question looking for advice on a self closing check valve... So I am still not clear what your point is - perhaps to explain to me that the system doesn't work or is...
  13. jdf405

So there is no problem whatsoever when the pump is running. The system is balanced just fine and works exactly as designed and desired from a flow perspective. The bang of the check valves occurs only after when pump is off and then a hot tap is opened. If you look at the schematic and...
  14. jdf405

Terry, Thanks much for the info. I actually have two valves, one in each leg, that I used to balance. Didn't show those for clarity. Any particular types of seat material to go for or avoid on the spring checks?
  15. jdf405

Hi all, About 2 years ago I implemented a recirc system in my house that uses a small Taco pump and a third recirc leg. We're really happy with how it works for the most part. Check the schematic... I installed a pair of check valves on each of the "input" legs to the pump to prevent cold...
  16. jdf405

Caulking for rain gutters - need advice.

Thanks Jimbo & Hardt! I will try re-caulking, but what I failed to mention in the original email was I stuck a scrap piece of Kerdi between the gutter and fascia to act as a shield - very much like what Hardt had recommended. Thanks! Jonathan
  17. jdf405

Caulking for rain gutters - need advice.

Greetings. I realize this is somewhat tangential to plumbing in its purest sense, but it pertains to water control & caulking - things we deal with often here... I had rain gutters installed a few years ago. I live in the Los Angeles area. The corner joints were caulked by the contractor...
  18. jdf405

URGENT - need advice on natural slate tile selection

We do have a call into the tile store. The first guy we spoke to said he "thinks the sealer will take care of it." I am fairly skeptical of how a chemical that is applied in a thin film at long intervals is going to keep stone together when mother nature didn't intend it to be so... The house...
  19. jdf405

URGENT - need advice on natural slate tile selection

Hello, I hope I can get some advice rapidly. I have two major concerns: 1) We selected natural slate tiles (12x12) for our 25 sq ft. bathroom floor. The installer is coming next week. When I looked at the tiles today I noticed that small chips (1/8" to 1/4" approx) of slate come off fairly...
  20. jdf405

Water Pipe Insulation

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on insulation for my hot water pipes. They reside in a crawl space of my Los Angeles area house. No need for freeze protection, I just want to keep the hot water that gets left in the pipes warm as long as possible. The stuff that is sold at Home...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks