Search results

1. Jedrek4680

Small Cabin Rough In for DWV - Am I On The Right Track?

When I started the project I used floorplanner.com to come up with a floorplan layout that my wife and I liked. That one lets you layout furniture and do design stuff really easily and is free. But, then I wanted to figure out the framing details so I started to play around with the program I am...
  2. Jedrek4680

I did, but wanted to stay away from engineered building materials since COVID was causing some shortages and supply chain delays when I began building. Dimensional lumber was readily available (at an inflated price unfortunately). I see what you mean now, instead of coming across first, come...
  3. Jedrek4680

Yup, I am the owner, plumber, insulation contractor, etc. so I have to balance the cost and install complexity with a good functioning system. We're planning to add an addition to the east side down the road, so I put in a wye where the kitchen line ties in and will keep that branch at 3" so we...
  4. Jedrek4680

That'd save drilling 2 joists but I think it would push the main 3" pipe down a little further towards the ground, plus leaves more piping exposed if I do not box below the joists. Yup, I like simple. Our code here in Ontario only allows a 2.75" hole drilled in a 2x12. Plus I am near the...
  5. Jedrek4680

Tucked the washer drain up as well now. Can it wye into the horizontal main drain like that?
  6. Jedrek4680

There won't be a basement below, the closest I would get would be boxing in the plumbing with PT plywood and insulating it. So, ideally the washing machine would be tucked up in a joist bay but then cannot vent after the WC unless I drill 2 joists. and use a long sweep 90 instead of the 45 that...
  7. Jedrek4680

Figured out how to do the 45s so the bends are pretty accurate now, just need to figure out the piping sizes which should be pretty simple with only the WC wet venting... and then make my parts list.
  8. Jedrek4680

This is a great consolidation of examples... love it
  9. Jedrek4680

This all makes sense, thanks for the help to interpret and clarify these points. Now I need to figure out how to draw 45s and then what order to assemble everything so I don't get stuck. Thanks so much for all the guidance!
  10. Jedrek4680

Okay, makes sense and keeps the shower trap up high. It would be like this but with 45s bringing the shower vent / main stack and kitchen drain down below the joists. For the washer drain, why is it not prohibited to bring it in down stream of the WC? Is it because the portion downstream of...
  11. Jedrek4680

The floor joists are 2x12s so the actual dimensions are 1.5" x 11.25". The rim joist sits directly over the outside ply of the 4-ply 2x12 beam. So, on the inside of the rim joist, there are 3 plys worth of 2x12 beam to get around (3 x 1.5" = 4.5") So using the outside sheathing as a reference...
  12. Jedrek4680

A clothes washer is listed as 2 fixture units by our code, requiring a 2" trap. A kitchen sink (as shown in the code example) is 1.5 fixture units. So, I think the clothes washer is an acceptable substitute for the kitchen sink which was used in the code example, but I could not run both into...
  13. Jedrek4680

The double sanitary tee is available here and mentioned in Canadian code. The 3x3x3 tee with 2" side inlet is also available but I don't see reference to it in our code. For the main stack where the shower vents, 2 90s will keep it up higher in the floor joist so in that application I think it...
  14. Jedrek4680

I had a feeling... lol This gets rid of one more hole thru the joists. The double wye would work here (likely better to smooth the flow of solids), with this configuration I have enough room vertically beneath the floor joists for that to work. I posted the wet venting rules from the...
  15. Jedrek4680

That is a good background on the venting, thank you. I reworked the design based on the previous suggestions and was able to make it more efficient. The shower vents thru the main stack instead of separately, the WC now wet vents thru the lav, and the kitchen and washer drains run parallel...
  16. Jedrek4680

Thanks guys. Going to evaluate how much space I have vertically from the ground to my floor and see if I can drop in at 3 elevations. I think it will work well. The electrician started today and everything is well out of the way of this plumbing except the main stack will have to cross 3 wires...
  17. Jedrek4680

That was for the sake of tying it into the right part of the horizontal branch since the main stack was in the 2nd bay, shower in the 3rd, etc. Something about that did not seem very efficient to me. Now that I understand a bit better how things vent and can enter the stack at different...
  18. Jedrek4680

It makes more sense when you explain it that way, thank you. I see if the WC is above then it has a direct venting route vs having some interference by being part of a drain the way I had it originally. I wasn't sure if I could fit both size by side below the same joist bay (they are 16" OC)...
  19. Jedrek4680

If I could come up with something that passes IPC, UPC and Canadian code, all the better. I am building in an area without building permits or inspectors so I am technically required to build to code but nobody will be checking. The main concern is good long term functionality. Here are the...
  20. Jedrek4680

Thanks for the suggestions Wayne, very helpful and much appreciated! I can easily switch the WC to run above the other main horizontal drain line and eliminate that short wet vented portion on the main stack. Alternatively the National Plumbing Code of Canada does allow the WC to be wet...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks