Search results

1. AdrianMariano

Fixing dishwasher drain ("sweating" drain hose)

My dishwasher drain has a translucent ribbed hose in the basement that connects to a black hose that goes up into the kitchen to the disposal. The black hose was in the house when I bought it and likely dates to the mid 90's. I noticed recently that it is covered with oil on the outside. It...
  2. AdrianMariano

Bathroom sink trap: PVC or Polypropylene

I'm removing some badly constricted steel pipes that drain my bathroom sink and tub and replacing with PVC. The existing trap under the bathroom sink is a heavy weight 1.5" sched 40 PVC and screws together with metal nuts. I can't reuse all of it because the end piece is glued to some ABS...
  3. AdrianMariano

Kitchen faucet arm hard to turn

My wife complained that the arm of the Grohe kitchen faucet is hard to turn between the sinks. And indeed it seems harder to turn than it should. (Like the force needed to turn it causes the whole faucet to tip slightly to the side.) It looked pretty dirty around the faucet base, so I tried...
  4. AdrianMariano

tub drain won't stay down

We have a Kohler tub installed with a Kohler drain about 3 years ago. The drain is operated by a lever on the side of the tub. And for a while now if you fill up the tub the drain will float open. It won't stay down. If you push it down it opens back up again. What could be the...
  5. AdrianMariano

Does this dishwasher drainline need to be changed?

So as far as I can tell, the dishwasher works OK. But the drain line is kind of screwy. The dishwasher drains into the disposal but the pipes go through the basement and then come back up into the kitchen. In the basement I can see first a white corrugated plastic pipe which then transitions...
  6. AdrianMariano

rustproof escutcheons

I redid my bathroom a couple years ago. And now the escutcheon around the shower arm is beginning to rust. The escutcheons that encircle copper supply pipes are almost always rusted. I would like to get some escutcheons that won't rust, but I looked around a bit and am having trouble finding...
  7. AdrianMariano

is this drain adequately vented?

I have a kitchen drain as follows: P-trap followed by 12 inches horizontal pipe, then a 90 degree elbow and about 18 inches of vertical pipe, then a gradual bend (two 22.5's I think and another foot of pipe) and the pipe finally connects to the vented drain pipe. The connection to the vented...
  8. AdrianMariano

Slip joint reliability and ferncos

I'm planning to redo my kitchen sink soon, and I was looking in Rex Cauldwell's book on Remodel Plumbing and noticed that he recommends a completely different drainage setup than what I understand to be the norm. The usual pattern would be to connect the sinks together with a T which feeds...
  9. AdrianMariano

unscrewing metal dwv pipe (is it impossible?)

I'm trying to unscrew a 1.5 inch metal drain pipe because the new pipe needs to be shorter to connect to the new sink. (Existing pipe is also about 50% blocked with crud as well.) I've pushed at it with my 14" pipe wrench, I've sprayed it with WD-40 and liquid wrench, and I've heated the...
  10. AdrianMariano

double sink: one trap or two traps?

I'm replacing my kitchen sink. The existing sink is a double sink installed with two traps. Each sink has its own trap (1.5") and the pipes then meet in a wye. But when I was looking at a plumbing book I saw they had illustrated a double sink where the garbage disposal waste line (1.25"...
  11. AdrianMariano

Soldering valves - testing my work

I am redoing my utility sink, which affects the hookups for the laundry. I got hose bib valves (the 1/4 turn type) and soldered them to the end of pipes using street 90's. Now I'm no expert at soldering, but I've done it a bit and I think I do OK (maybe not real pretty) on regular pipe...
  12. AdrianMariano

Connecting plastic to cast iron drain line

I'm replacing a cracked utility sink. The drain line for this sink is either copper or steel connected into cast iron. (There is a big T-fitting on the cast iron.) In order to make a connection for the new sink I would like to connect a plastic pipe to the cast iron. Now I could do it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks