Plumbers blocked attic access - want me to pay for moving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

JimFromAustin

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this concerns new construction. Plumbers blocked attic access passageway when they mounted a large gas manifold right in the middle of the attic passageway. First, it is simply common sense not to block that and is clearly shown on the plans. Second, it creates a problem with the mechanical code, where a minimum size attic passage way must be maintained. When I stated the mechanical code, they said they are only under the rules of the plumbing code. Of course, they should use common sense and not block the attic passage way, but my questions is, is there some code that says one trade may not impact another trade? Here is the Mechanical that requires passage way size: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/I...requirements#IRC2021P2_Pt05_Ch13_SecM1305.1.2

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hi Guys, this concerns new construction. Plumbers blocked attic access passageway when they mounted a large gas manifold right in the middle of the attic passageway. First, it is simply common sense not to block that and is clearly shown on the plans. Second, it creates a problem with the mechanical code, where a minimum size attic passage way must be maintained. When I stated the mechanical code, they said they are only under the rules of the plumbing code. Of course, they should use common sense and not block the attic passage way, but my questions is, is there some code that says one trade may not impact another trade? Here is the Mechanical that requires passage way size: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/I...requirements#IRC2021P2_Pt05_Ch13_SecM1305.1.2

Are you the GC?

Back when I did security systems, there were things I couldn't do that wasn't in the code ( I think) like running a wire across a hallway shoulder height.. Most codes overlap each other to a great degree IIRC, but it's been years.

Did the plumber have the plans and is the manifold now where the plans call for them, or did someone just say put a manifold in the attic before the passageway was framed?

Can you post the floorplan to get a better idea of what's going on there?

John

EDIT: if the inspector red flags it, it seems like the plumber's problem.

JimFromAustin

Reaction score
The plans did not indicate where manifold should be placed, but plans clearly shows attic passage way (blue arrow) red line is where they placed the manifold. I had them move it, because #1, it blocks attic access. #2, it would never pass inspection. I could have waited, so inspector said it cant be there, but HVAC needs to get in there and run duct work. When it finally got inspected, plumbers would have torn up the hvac duct work when moving the manifold.

Good point, you probably can't place a sink in the middle of the hallway either.

1715199201887.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
happens all the time. communication helps yea maybe its thier fault they are idiots. If it wasent marked or headed out in anyway just a normal truss bay I kinda feel someone else should have marked it in some way? who is running the job ? thats what general contractors are for construction management . Its also Common sence to watch over the job site dont you think? Im not giving them a pass on this but where the hell is site management ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
this stuff needs to be communicated Im sure it was overlooked in any case it will be now common sence by at least one person to communicate with the trades when building a house of what are obvious issues to the more experianced

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope things get back on track these mistakes happen we want to catch them before they happen . and smooth sailing rest of way

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks