Citric acid passivation for ss tankless?

Users who are viewing this thread

BenT123

Reaction score
Would it make sense to run a citric acid solution for 2-3 hours (with octa/decyl glucoside as surfactant) to passivate the stainless steel heat exchanger?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Would it make sense to run a citric acid solution for 2-3 hours (with octa/decyl glucoside as surfactant) to passivate the stainless steel heat exchanger?
Asking for a combi water heater? I've only seen it done on process equipment. Never seen it done on a plate and frame hx used for condenser, chilled or heated water.

BenT123

Reaction score
Yes, residential tankless water heater. After giving it some more thought, I figure that passivation would be beneficial from the burner side and not much from the water supply side.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Yes, residential tankless water heater. After giving it some more thought, I figure that passivation would be beneficial from the burner side and not much from the water supply side.
Your only treating waterside. Burner can be 3500°+. The hx water is moving fast. I've seen hx twisted like a pretzel in a copper fin hx from low flow , scaled or flow switch isn't fast enough. Passivation burner side isn't touched. Plate and frame both sides can be treated or shell and tube. Hx compromised more than 1/2 the time it's cheaper to replace whole unit than repair because of labor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks