Clearwater FL woman says condo clothes washer must drain into 3"

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Correct? (Our 2000 house is 2-inch)
She lives on 3rd floor of 3 at Top of the World
No clothes washer or dryer place in her condominium.
She is using 2nd bedroom closet with washer draining into a 2-inch bathtub pipe. (Don't khow.)
Should move ito the kitchen, she was told.
Estimate $6,000

Thank you.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The 3" pipe is not the washer drain, that must be 2". When there are other drains, each fixture has a "fixture unit". When the total is five, the main stack, which all the fixtures drain into must a 3". Each fixture usually would be 2". Older builds could be 1.5".

Cost is nearly impossible to figure since it is different in every city and state. With a condo setup, walls may need to be opened up, maybe all three floors. A condo with no washer setup sounds as if it at one time it was an apartment building.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3 story condo I would think requires the association to aproove proceding with this job the drain piping might be shared with lower units . 6000 dollar price dosent mean much its all dependant on what work needs to be done . of cource it requires a building permit

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Thank you, all.

She is thinking the clothes washer in her kitchen will make the condo worth more and easier to sell.
But no clothes dryer unless she buys a "No vent" type which refrigerates the hot moisture-laden air to condense out the
water that has to be manually poured down a drain. Would a vent outhe roof be allowed since she is on the top floor?

Assume that she would also need to somehow get a dedicated 20-amp circuit to the kitchen clothes washer.
There is 220 for the kitchen stove and oven, but doubtful that would be allowed for the clothes dryer.

What a mess.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its a condo not a house you cant just bootleg everything. its not just run some long garden hoses through the cabinets and call it good

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I would contact the condo association, the building department , and a contractor . happy to help more but we dont know the layout of how the place was built. others might know the legalities of this type work

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is also a problem that introducing a Suds producing fixture to the top floor of a building that wasn't designed for it will negatively impact the neighbors below. I've seen it in these scenarios when the upstairs unit uses their new clothes washer and suds come out of their downstairs neighbors kitchen sinks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is also a problem that introducing a Suds producing fixture to the top floor of a building that wasn't designed for it will negatively impact the neighbors below. I've seen it in these scenarios when the upstairs unit uses their new clothes washer and suds come out of their downstairs neighbors kitchen sinks.
Yes Suds relief is certainly a major factor in UPC size of stack to the existing suds producers may play a part in the construction of adding a wash machine , since the codes effecting suds relief include tubs, kitchen sinks with D/w (posibly without as well)
Its got some involved issues Thats why I recomend checking with building department , HOA , and contractor preferably one well versed in mid rise 3 story minimum condo work particularly in the remodel process of such

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Correct? (Our 2000 house is 2-inch)
She lives on 3rd floor of 3 at Top of the World
No clothes washer or dryer place in her condominium.
She is using 2nd bedroom closet with washer draining into a 2-inch bathtub pipe. (Don't khow.)
Should move ito the kitchen, she was told.
Estimate $6,000

Thank you.

Yes. Laundry must drain into a 3".
But if you have room. Install a Utility Sink and connect the sink. Then discharge your clothes washer directly into the utility sink. This will solve your problem and save you $6k

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Michael might be right your code might not require suds relief on multi unit buildings the building department will answer that. or someone that knows multi family housing 3 story

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Michael might be right your code might not require suds relief on multi unit buildings the building department will answer that. or someone that knows multi family housing 3 story
Code might not, I couldn't find it.. but flooding a neighbor with suds will just invite lawsuits which is a whole lot worse than a $6k installation.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code might not, I couldn't find it.. but flooding a neighbor with suds will just invite lawsuits which is a whole lot worse than a $6k installation.
it might be legal . if you live in a condo its a big can of worms whats your responcibility and whats under the HOA if your plumbing floods neighbor I dont know what happens especialy if its installed per code, permited and inspected but guy below you stuffing potatos and god knows what down the drains LOL.
I dont know that 6 grand gets this tyhrough on an old biulding HOA might say hell no and Im only taking a wild guess that no hoa aproval no permit

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks