Septic 102: need to learn about sewage lift systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a home with a sewage lift pump. I'm unfamiliar with this type of system and I would like to learn more about it.
Is there a good explanation or tutorial website where I can learn?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Just Google sewage lift pump system explained. There are two types of pumps sewage and grinder. Grinder pump is probably what u have it handles toilet waste.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Most of the google results show effluent pump systems. I don't know what this house has and neither did my realtor.
I didn't see any risers, covers, or anything else for access.
The only clues were an electrical box on a post in line between the house & leech field. And a breaker labeled "sewage pump".
It was a neighbor that told me what this was.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Have any idea who the builder was? Call them for the plumber company. Your in the process of buying a house and the realtor doesn't know some company sad. The owner doesn't know who to call. I'd be very skeptical. Good home inspector should know. On Facebook post a question on septic systems for a plumber.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
two things come to mind:

basement plumbing fixtures that require a sewage ejector pump to get sewage up to the level of the gravity flow plumbing system. the sewage ejector pump should be accessible (or maybe visible) in the basement

or

a pressure distribution septic system which uses a pump to pressurize the effluent into the septic field. generally you have two exterior below grade tanks - the typical septic tank where solids settle with flow being under gravity conditions into and out of the septic tank. flow then goes to the pump tank where your septic pump is located. generally the pump is on a float so that fluid collects and then gets pumped out to the field all at once under pressure. By "dosing" the field in this manner it allows it to rest in between and not have constant flow like in a gravity system and since its under pressure it equally distributes the flow throughout the field rather than concentrating near one end like in a gravity system. this is a superior system to the typical gravity based tank and field. should have two exterior tanks both with access lids outside with this type of system.

Guy48065

Reaction score
This is a lakefront home with no basement. Standing off to the side you can see the house sits slightly lower than the streetside yard so a lift is needed just to get the effluent into the field.

The weird thing is the missing access covers. Do these sometimes get buried under the lawn, like septic tank lids?

In older photos from the 2016 listing for this house I don't even see the post & electric box that's there now.

Wouldn't the county health dept have a permit/description/drawing of this system I could research before closing on the deal?

Gsmith22

Reaction score
so with more info, yes seems like it would be a pumped septic field. I would expect whomever the local health board is that approves septic installations to have records of what was originally installed. could it have been a replacement and they didn't get it permitted and inspected? being on a lake, it would seem that a health board would be all over a septic installation so that it doesn't pollute. find where the septic tank is outside - if that is below the level of the house slab, then the pump is probably after the septic tank. if the septic tank sits higher than the house slab, then the pump has to be before it and would probably be in the house. septic inspections for house purchases are a typical thing - I would highly recommend one in the same vein as your typical home inspection. if nothing else, it will locate all these components.

Guy48065

Reaction score
Thank you.
I called the county health dept and they use a clunky FOIA system to provide information. Might not get what I'm looking for in time but it is what it is.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a home with a sewage lift pump.
Is the buy contingent on what you learn?

My suggestion if you buy, or maybe if still up in the air, is to call a local place or two. If you can find one that has pumped it before, they may have records. Paying a local place with a very experienced person running the truck could empty the tank, give you a report on how full the tank was, and probably educated guesses on other aspect. Expect $250 to $350 unless you are in a high COL area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks