Cast is 4”…replace with 3”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thorngrove

Reaction score
I’m replacing all the cast iron waste pipe…2 sinks, 2 toilets, 1 shower. All fixtures connect to 4” horizontal which runs to main stack.
Question…can I replace with 3”? The stack will remain 4” though.
Also…a toilet is directly above the current horizontal run…it currently uses a sanitary tee on its back, the way I understand things, shouldn’t it be a Wye instead? I’ll attach some pictures cause Im sure I haven’t explained things well enough. First time being on a forum and asking a question…so I do appreciate any guidance and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 20

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, 3" pipe is rated for 35 Drainage Fixture Units or DFU. Toilets are 3DFU if they're 1.6GPF or under. I believe that KS uses the newest UPC code which allows up to 5 toilets on a 3" horizontal.

And yes. Long sweep fittings for all transitions from Horizontal to Horizontal and Vertical to Horizontal. The toilet shouldn't drop into a horizontal connection either. Post a drawing of your layout of the fixtures / walls / point of connection in relation to the fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks