Air in Dentist Office Water System

Users who are viewing this thread

Buddy Rabon

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with air getting trapped in the potable water system at a dentist office I service. Ive been a commercial plumber in new construction and service for 25 years but I have never plumbed a dentist office from the ground up therefore I do not know how the system works as far as the air and water being connected. I know the dental equipment used is connected to filtered water and air via an air compressor. This air is backing back down the water line and into the water system causing sink faucets, toilets, and hose bibs to "spit" water and air. Has anyone had an issue with this before and can point me in the right direction to find the source of the problem. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
A water softener air check valve failure could add air to the water system during regeneration.

Is the water for this office from a private well? Some water treatment systems, such as for iron removal, can cause air to be introduced. In addition, a well running short of water can bring in air via the pump.

If this is city water, and if the water pressure is not known to be higher than the air pressure, you could add a spring-loaded check valve on the water supply of each device that gets supplied with water and compressed air. This could be viewed as a workaround or a redundant system.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've plumbed many dental clinics. Typically you have your drains and vents, potable water, compressed air, vacuum and Nitro and Oxy. The air compressor air is not hooked up to the potable system for any purpose, it only runs the tools

One unique thing about dental clinics, and Im not 100% certain that everyone is done this way, but every one that I've worked on has a shut off valve that gets turned off at night. If as Caorrymase suggests.. that could allow air backwards in if there were a leak that allowed water to drain down creating suction.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with air getting trapped in the potable water system at a dentist office I service. Ive been a commercial plumber in new construction and service for 25 years but I have never plumbed a dentist office from the ground up therefore I do not know how the system works as far as the air and water being connected. I know the dental equipment used is connected to filtered water and air via an air compressor. This air is backing back down the water line and into the water system causing sink faucets, toilets, and hose bibs to "spit" water and air. Has anyone had an issue with this before and can point me in the right direction to find the source of the problem. Thanks
go outside and access the backflow device to see if its discharging.