High quality hose bib

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Wall faucet, hose bib, sillcock or hydrant, lots of different names for the same item. I used to use the Woodford 101CP with integrated vacuum breaker. Not that I really need that feature. After I replaced a couple due to the vacuum breaker leaking (yes, I know about the rebuild kit that costs almost as much as the faucet) I decided I was done with that brand, despite liking the adjustability of the acme screw mechanism driving the washer.

Then I went with a Zurn Z1341XL-P34-3/4" NPT-F, and within two months the plastic handle (yes plastic for a $60 "light commercial" faucet) broke off. I'm not impressed.

I also tried a cheap Arrowhead Brass faucet, but it was impossible to modulate at low flow. These are used for irrigation around the yard, so being able to set it at a low level, and have it stay at the set point is important. These Arrowhead Brass faucets would actually start at low flow, than 20 minutes later be down to a trickle. They actually changed over time. Sheesh!

Can anybody recommend a good quality lead-free brass, high-flow 3/4" NPT-M or NPT-F faucet that doesn't require maintenance every couple years? This is just a single family home, they aren't being heavily used or abused. I'm not looking for 1/4 turn ball valves as the noise at part flow is insane, screaming through the entire house plumbing system (1" main feeding 3/4" hose bib circuit type L copper 8 years old, regulated to 50psi with hammer arrestors at the hose bibs). I prefer traditional rebuild-able washer type for control at low and mid flow without screaming plumbing.

Is this really that hard?