Will Dahl 611-41-31 angle stopvalve this do the job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I am planning to connect from 3/8 OD soft copper tubing to a common toilet supply line, as well as 2 lav supply lines (3 valves total). I will use the smaller soft copper because I will be fishing from the basement through a finished plaster and metal lath wall.

1. Will valve this do the job?

dahl-6114131.jpg

Dahl 611-41-31 Retrofit Valve 3/8 OD Fem. Comp X 3/8 OD Comp

2. What is the distinction they are making between "female compression" and just plain "compression".

3. Is there a better alternative for that job?

4. Does the word "retrofit" just mean that it would not be a good choice for new construction, which is what I suspect?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nope.
Not without a 3/8" compression coupling to connect the 3/8" copper to the end of that fitting.
You could also pick up a standard IP stop and reduce with a 1/2" MIP x 3/8" comp.
Or you could go big and fish 1/2" up there which would be 5/8" OD.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not without a 3/8" compression coupling to connect the 3/8" copper to the end of that fitting.
You could also pick up a standard IP stop and reduce with a 1/2" MIP x 3/8" comp.
Thanks! That sure opens up the availability of stop valves.
c74-066-2.jpg
I was searching high and low to try to do it with one piece. I did find the Aquaflow V-106-A. That adapter method may actually be preferable now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My first try did not work. It leaked at both ends at the compressions. I don't know if I tightened right, and if I did it wrong, I don't know if I over-tightened or under-tightened. But by the time I pressurized things, the nuts were really loose. I am sure I did not leave them loose.

The copper I used was identified as refrigeration tubing, rather than type K, L, M. It was what was readily available.When I bought it, I figured refrigeration has high pressures, so it should be OK for water. Well, not for me. I measured 0.030 wall thickness on a caliper after the fact. If I try the 3/8 OD compression again, I may order up some type K. Not cheap since they don't sell only 10 ft at a time. Or maybe I will use 5/8 OD, which is easier to find in K and L. Fishing that has to be harder.

For the toilet I ended up fishing 1/2 PEX and using a Sharkbite angle stop. No elbow-- just an unsupported bend. I wish they had a better system for rework.

Reach4

Reaction score
Update... I tried compression again. This time I tightened, and waited, letting things flow. I think it is going to hold, and I should have just retightened my first attempt a few times.

After taking out my first try, I expected the tubing would be constricted where the olive pressed down. Nope... I could not detect a deformation.

Anyway, I did come up with some methods for fishing the guide cord that preceded the tubing. I used an LED rope, that was easy to see through the hole in the wall. I lassoed it, and pulled the cord down.

I am waiting before attaching the stop valve to the wall so I can watch for a possible leak, and to give a final tighten even if there is no leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks