Stack Connection Verification

Users who are viewing this thread

WoodenTent

Reaction score
I'm working on getting my connections to the stack in my basement finalized so I can proceed, but just wanted to verify a few things.

Basically I have a basic ranch. The upstairs back is slowly getting redone, also an upstairs washer step is in place. In my basement, it's getting turned into finished basement, so framed out walls are going in, the stack will not be in the wall, but everything running to it will be. In the original layout, the house had the tub line run under joist at an angle, connecting into big old cast iron lump, toilet comes off that, and sink in the stack above the toilet then it vents out. Once redone, the only thing up high will be the toilet and the vent. The tub drain goes in the joist bay, then comes down into the wall, same for new re-located sinks. Those 2 lines will go vertical in the wall, then connect in a horizontal branch thru the wall to right behind the stack. In the same wall below this horizontal will be a washer stand pipe setup, that has a horizontal over to the stack (it's vented as well with the vent working it's was up thru). Then just under the basement standpipe section will be a 3rd horizontal branch that carries along under an egress window framing, then to vertical to pick up the washer drain and floor drain. Thus I have 3 horizontal connections to connect to the stack. The last/lowest connection is a challenge because the trap for the downstairs standpipe leaves limited height/clearance to fit the branch line for the upstairs standpipe since the trap has to be 6-18" off the floor. Now is that last part correct or is that just UPC and not IRC/IPC. I don't see the trap height in the book (IRC2015), I just see the standpipe above the trap requirements (more than 18, less than 42).

For all 3 horizontals the plan is to run thru the wall to just behind the stack, then turn and come into the backside of the stack. The stack is cast iron, I will be cutting out and going PVC, so I need to get as low as I can and use a fernco to connect. That doesn't give me much height to work with. I'd ideally want to use a wye, then have a long turn 90 to go horizontal. But that takes height, so will probably need to be a sanitary tee, with a long sweep 90. Is there anything wrong with this. I hand understood you can get away with 135 degree worth of horizontal turns without a cleanout, but can no longer find that in the code book. The fitting table gives an ok on a long 90 in hor-hor but no other limits.

Above the lowest horizontal branch would be the basement standpipe, which again probably has to be a sani-tee due to height, then above for the tub/sink branch I have room to use a wye connection.

Is my understanding on the standpipe trap height correct (6-18")? If I could raise it up, then I could probably use a wye for all of them. Is there any issues with having multiple tees connecting to the stack? Far as I know, it's ok. I just don't like having to get so low, if I get a bad break on the CI, I'm boned.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
For vital cuts on old c.i., I use a cutoff wheels in an angle grinder instead of the snap cutter.

It would be easier to us to help if you draw up an isometric plumbing diagram of what you intend to do and we can comment from there. After a couple of short paragraphs of text, all I hear is "blah, blah, blah".

WoodenTent

Reaction score
The basic thing was just understanding if I was missing anything about connecting horizontal branches into a stack so low. Thus my other post specifically on P3005.5.

I think after going thru things I have finally realized that the 6-18" trap height for stand pipes is an UPC requirement, not an IPC requirement, thus my basement washer setup doesn't need the trap so low, I just need to keep the pipe between 18 and 42 between above the weir. Thus I probably have a lot more room to work with.

WoodenTent

Reaction score
I am curious why UPC has that requirement. Stand pipe height requirements make sense, and dictating a height off the floor for the inlet to the pipe makes/would make sense so you don't have pipes up near a ceiling. But why define this for washers. Tubs, Showers, floor drains have them below floor. Other traps like those on a furnace condensate or a water filtration system could be several feet off the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks