Replacing Toto Ultimate round bowl, 14" rough in - no knee room

Users who are viewing this thread

camrom

Reaction score
Would like to replace this unit with another round bowl, one piece unit. Only have about 14 inches of knee room, with a 14 inch closet bolts to wall measurement. Any suggestions for an elongated bowl that is at least 16" off the ground (floor to top of toilet seat)? What would the Toto unifit contraption do the trick? Any issues with the unifit and clogs as there appears to be another "elbow" now for potential clogging. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
How much distance is between the wall and the front of the bowl now? Compare that to the drawings at the bottom of

https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms964-specs.pdf

Vespin II is two piece, and Soiree is one piece.

An elongated toilet does not hurt knee room, but it can take away from walk room.

The Unifit does not add a clog point.

I went with a Vespin. I had bought the 14 inch unifit to handle what I thought was a 13-7/16 rough, but it turned out that the bolts were a little closer than that. Also, they were not equal, and my closet flange did not have the usual slots to let me position the bolts fore and aft. So I made my own holes in the Unifit. I could have used either Unifit, but I went with using the included 12 inch Unifit.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fitting-toto-to-13-7-16-rough-in-to-wall-but-less-with-baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138

874cut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, all toilets have a bend in the trapway...it's just that in the Totos that use the UniFit adapter, that bend is in the adapter, not inside of the toilet where you may not be able to see it. As a result, because you can control the plastic easier than the slump of clay, that trapway is much smoother and consistent than you can generally achieve in a casting...it's really hard to clog a Toto that uses one.

With a typical 14" rough-in, to fill the space behind the toilet, most of them just substitute a deeper tank, pushing all of the rest of the toilet out into the room. Toto, with the Unifit, has the toilet always sit exactly in the same place, whether you have a (if it is exact) 10, 12, or 14" rough-in, potentially saving at least 2".

camrom

Reaction score
How much distance is between the wall and the front of the bowl now? Compare that to the drawings at the bottom of
Vespin II is two piece, and Soiree is one piece.

An elongated toilet does not hurt knee room, but it can take away from walk room.

The Unifit does not add a clog point.

I went with a Vespin. I had bought the 14 inch unifit to handle what I thought was a 13-7/16 rough, but it turned out that the bolts were a little closer than that. Also, they were not equal, and my closet flange did not have the usual slots to let me position the bolts fore and aft. So I made my own holes in the Unifit. I could have used either Unifit, but I went with using the included 12 inch Unifit.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138
It is 29 inches from back wall to front of round toilet bowl. I have a 14 inch rough in. I am trying to buy more space by going closer to the wall.

camrom

Reaction score
FWIW, all toilets have a bend in the trapway...it's just that in the Totos that use the UniFit adapter, that bend is in the adapter, not inside of the toilet where you may not be able to see it. As a result, because you can control the plastic easier than the slump of clay, that trapway is much smoother and consistent than you can generally achieve in a casting...it's really hard to clog a Toto that uses one.

With a typical 14" rough-in, to fill the space behind the toilet, most of them just substitute a deeper tank, pushing all of the rest of the toilet out into the room. Toto, with the Unifit, has the toilet always sit exactly in the same place, whether you have a (if it is exact) 10, 12, or 14" rough-in, potentially saving at least 2".
Thanks for the insight on the unifit and the fact that it does not create another elbow for clogging. With a 14 inch rough in, what size of a unifit would I need (10, 12, 14) to get a TOTO closer to the wall, and therefore buying me more space in the front?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the unifit and the fact that it does not create another elbow for clogging. With a 14 inch rough in, what size of a unifit would I need (10, 12, 14) to get a TOTO closer to the wall, and therefore buying me more space in the front?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The toilet dimension will be the same total distance from the wall when using a UniFIt adapter (this only fits SOME Toto toilets), regardless of the rough-in as long as you select the right one (i.e., a 10" one for a 10" RI, 12" for 12", or 14" for 14"). This assumes that your RI is actually one of those values...if it is off, that will shift the whole toilet that slight amount. Note, you can fudge the install of the Unifit, and thus the actual end position of the toilet a bit without compromising the install. There are limits, though. The typical gap at the rear of the toilet to the wall is 3/4" on those that use the UniFit adapter, you need to read the spec sheet to verify. Also, the toilet comes with the 12" adapter...you'll need to buy a 14" one, and no, there isn't a credit given for the 12" one you won't use! Very little to no resale value, since it comes with the toilet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a repeat of what others have reported, but very important to know. The Unifit adapter will work on only several models of Toto toilets. These toilets come with a 12" adapter, the 14" and 10" must be purchased separately and there is no return on the 12". The toilets are exactly the same size, it is the adapter than adds or subtracts the distance. These toilets are all skirted, and that hides the Unifit. Any one of these models would be ideal for you.

camrom

Reaction score
Just a repeat of what others have reported, but very important to know. The Unifit adapter will work on only several models of Toto toilets. These toilets come with a 12" adapter, the 14" and 10" must be purchased separately and there is no return on the 12". The toilets are exactly the same size, it is the adapter than adds or subtracts the distance. These toilets are all skirted, and that hides the Unifit. Any one of these models would be ideal for you.

camrom

Reaction score
So, in summary (not a DIY, but learning), I have a 14 inch rough - in, and by using a 12 inch unifit that comes with the toilet, I can go back 2 inches, hence gaining two inches from the front to install an elongated instead of a round toilet. Right now, with the round and 14 inches rough in, I only have 14 inches knee room.

Reach4

Reaction score
So, in summary (not a DIY, but learning), I have a 14 inch rough - in, and by using a 12 inch unifit that comes with the toilet, I can go back 2 inches, hence gaining two inches from the front to install an elongated instead of a round toilet. Right now, with the round and 14 inches rough in, I only have 14 inches knee room.
A 12 Unifit in puts the toilet 2 inches farther into the room (away from the wall) than a 14 inch one does.

See https://terrylove.com/wc/unifit.htm This picture is from that page:
unifit_choice.jpg

The one on the left is a 10 inch Unifit, and the one on the right is a 14 inch. The top of the Unifits in the picture is close to the back of the toilet. The big circles at the bottom go over the closet flange. Wax goes between the big circles and the closet flange. The slots are where the closet bolts come through.

I had roughly a 13 inch rough in. I was trying to locate the toilet closer to the wall. I chose to do a non-standard mod by making my own holes. I could have made holes for the closet bolts like the yellow circles in the marked up photo below. I chose to use the 12 instead of the 14 to modify. If my closet flange had the arc slot for the closet bolts, I might have been able to position the bolts differently on the arc. My cast iron closet flange did not offer that option. So I made my own holes. I was careful to insure that the exit of the Unifit was completely over the main hole in my closet flange.

If the rough in was closer to 14 inches, I would have used the 14 inch Unifit adapter.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The 12" unifit will only keep the toilet the design 3/4" from the wall when installed on a 12" rough-in...as described, if you want to maintain that 3/4" behind the toilet with a 14" rough-in, you need to substitute the 14" unifit (an extra cost item - it comes with the 12" one in the box). It would be nice if they offered the unifit as a second box, separate, but then, people might end up buying it without one at all, then be pissed. The 'normal' rough-in in the USA is 12", so they include one in the box so you have a complete toilet to install. If you have a 14" rough-in, and want the toilet back towards the wall, buy the 14" unifit to move it back that 2". A 12" UniFit will allow the toilet to fit a 14" rough-in, but it will be sticking out an extra 2". And, to repeat what people have been saying...the UniFit will only work on Toto toilets, and then, only on those that are designed specifically for it...it is not a general use item that can be adapted to fit any brand or model toilet.

camrom

Reaction score
The 12" unifit will only keep the toilet the design 3/4" from the wall when installed on a 12" rough-in...as described, if you want to maintain that 3/4" behind the toilet with a 14" rough-in, you need to substitute the 14" unifit (an extra cost item - it comes with the 12" one in the box). It would be nice if they offered the unifit as a second box, separate, but then, people might end up buying it without one at all, then be pissed. The 'normal' rough-in in the USA is 12", so they include one in the box so you have a complete toilet to install. If you have a 14" rough-in, and want the toilet back towards the wall, buy the 14" unifit to move it back that 2". A 12" UniFit will allow the toilet to fit a 14" rough-in, but it will be sticking out an extra 2". And, to repeat what people have been saying...the UniFit will only work on Toto toilets, and then, only on those that are designed specifically for it...it is not a general use item that can be adapted to fit any brand or model toilet.

camrom

Reaction score
Thanks jadnashua, it all makes sense now, and with a 14 inch rough-in, I can gain the extra two inches with a 14 inch unifit, and get an elongated bowl, which is about 2 inches longer than my existing round bowl. Cheers,
Camrom

camrom

Reaction score
Too difficult with unifit and I had to go with the shortest toilet. Instead, I went with Kohler Santa Rosa because of its height and short elongated bowl, as well as 12 inch rough in. My other three toilets are TOTOs however given little knee room, I went with another reputable toilet. Thanks All for chiming in on my problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Too difficult with unifit and I had to go with the shortest toilet. Instead, I went with Kohler Santa Rosa because of its height and short elongated bowl, as well as 12 inch rough in. My other three toilets are TOTOs however given little knee room, I went with another reputable toilet. Thanks All for chiming in on my problem.
Doesn't that toilet with a 12 inch rough in sit out from the wall over 2 inches because of your 14 inch rough in?
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-3810_spec.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks