Basement Bathroom Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Hello again, A few questions:

My builder left me with a 11/2 inch shower drain in the corner that i have to convert to 2 inch and move it.

1. Can I tap into where the red circle is (this is the main drain line, 4inch) and make it 2 inch to go to where the plumb bob is for my new shower drain line.

2. What do I do with the old shower drain, the green circle. Where do I cut it off? As You can see where the blue circle is, it is tied in with the vanity drain line.

3. What type of cement/concrete mix should I use to cement the flood back in, once my drain lines are cut?

Thank you for your help.
file.php

file.php

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The existing shower drain is installed to wet vent through the vanity vent. If you cannot re-route but maintain that connection, you new drain will require a seperate vent before the connection to the main line.

A 1-1/2" shower drain is commonly accepted in Canda plumbing codes.

Supperfly17

Reaction score
The existing shower drain is installed to wet vent through the vanity vent. If you cannot re-route but maintain that connection, you new drain will require a seperate vent before the connection to the main line.

A 1-1/2" shower drain is commonly accepted in Canda plumbing codes.

Not sure what a wet vent is, but there is a vent running the way you described it. So I was thinking of doing it this way, and you are saying I cant do it this way?
Cant I just cut the 1.5 inch pipe and cap it off and leave the rest as is. And then just tap into the 4 inch pipe with a 4x2 WYE as i drew it up.

file.php

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No, the vent connection must be between the shower trap and the connection to the main line. Without a proper vent in place, the trap will siphon and sewer gases, drain flies, etc, will come back up through the drain.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, so I don't know if this is feasible/allowed: but is there enough room between top of existing pies and underside of concrete slab to run the shower pipe "over" the existing pipe as shown in this drawing?

plumbing-reroute.jpg

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Perhaps that would work. But someone also told me, not sure if its true that my original way will work because I am not changing the distance from the air vent if I tap into the 4" pipe for my shower drain. The distance will still be the same to the air vent. Or is it a big no-no to have the shower drain come off the 4" toilet pipe, and it always must come off the main vanity line.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you wye directly into the toilet line without a seperate vent, the flow of water from flushing the toilet will siphon the showers trap. This is why we have basic rules of plumbing, and plumbing codes to enforce those rules.
When it is not done correctly, there will be nothing but problems down the road...

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. What would your solution be, to move the drain as in the first picture where I want it. What would you do?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Could you use a linear shower drain located parallel to the left-hand wall in your picture, feeding into that existing 1-1/2" drain line instead of locating the shower drain where the plumb bob hangs (essentially relocating the shower P-trap to the area of the green circle on your diagram)?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. What would your solution be, to move the drain as in the first picture where I want it. What would you do?

You will likely need to access the line further downstream so that the vent can come up within the wall to go through the roof or otherwise tie into the existing venting system. We cannot see the pitch and depth of the pipe there, but it appears unlikely that you would be able to connect up where the old connection was.

Supperfly17

Reaction score
What do you think of making it this way. I can keep the pitch constant(the same) on both the vertical and horizontal run. My 1.5 inch pipe would run over top of the 4" toilet pipe.
file.php

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If there is adequate depth below the floor to maintain proper slope, yes, that would work.

The bends need to be long turn 90's or 45's put together. Because the are more than 135 degrees of change in direction, the shower drain will be required to have an accessible cleanout in the floor.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I think this bend is too tight for a drain router to make. If the shower clogs your going to have a hard time clearing it.
newcut.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Would this work (gets rid of shower drain loop).
But I'm not sure about venting the shower trap.

dig1.jpg

Last edited:

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Dont think it will because the shower drain needs to come off the vanity line, or as catcher said if its done that way when the toilet is flushed it will siphon in the shower drain

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no way you can run the line OVER the main drain wihout creating an "S" trap for the shower, since it will be higher than the vent connection. The double Y would require a vent between the trap and the main line connection.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is my error, as of course hj is correct. It it not possible to make that run without exceeding the allowed drop in the line, which will create an S -trap.

Last edited:

Themp

Reaction score
Are you allowed to just run a pipe from the new shower drain to the plumbed P-trap that now exists if the slope is ok? Does the P-trap have to be under the shower drain? I ask because I had a leak in my second floor shower and had to remove a portion of the dry wall ceiling and there was no P-trap under the drain, the drain connected to a 90 degree elbow and then ran two joists over to a P-trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks