Fleck 5600 - Noise while "In service" while running water

Users who are viewing this thread

Codyppc

Reaction score
First time I've ever seen this and need some help. I searched the web for an hour and can't find anyone else, who has had this problem, which I find hard to believe.

I get a semi loud noise, right in the middle of the head, when water is running in the house. the unit is in the basement and they customer can hear it up stairs ever time the toilet is flushed.

Put the unit in by pass, flush toilet, no noise. Back in service, noise. The toilet has nothing to do with it, it was just what we used to make the noise.

I first thought it was the meter. I pulled the meter impeller, put meter cover back on, ran water and still makes sound. reinstalled meter impeller.

With the sound being so centered, I though it could be piston seals and spacers. Replaced the 3 and still makes sound.

Customer thought it was the by pass boot, so I pulled it out and it looked great. rotated it 90 degrees just for giggles, reinstalled, and it still makes noise.

I tore the head down and the only thing I could find was the DLFC Button Retainer was cracked pretty good. looks like someone used needle noise pliers to access DLFC. I don't see how this could be an issue when we're looking at noise when "In Service"

This is a 5600 econominder. It does have the flow straightener.

What do you guys think? What causes noise in head while running water, and in service?

Thanks, Cody

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Noise in plumbing components can be very tricky. Harmonics, vibrations etc all play a part. The best analogy I can give is a guitar string. Even slightly too loose or slightly too tight and it will not make a sound. If your water flow, viscosity, temperature, pressure... all hit the right "harmonics", a whistle, hum, etc can occur. I have seen this many times and discovering an absolute cause can be difficult. It is more common in piping, but I have seen it is almost every conceivable piece of equipment over the past 30 years.

A couple of suggestions. Remove the head and take some resin off the top of the resin bed and test it. It should be solid and feel very gritty, not mushy at all. You should not be able to break or "smoosh" the resin between your thumb and finger. If you can your resin is bad and needs replacement.

Try increasing or decreasing your water pressure slightly.

Try closing the anglestop slightly on your toilet.

Keep us updated as to what you discover.

Codyppc

Reaction score
Noise in plumbing components can be very tricky. Harmonics, vibrations etc all play a part. The best analogy I can give is a guitar string. Even slightly too loose or slightly too tight and it will not make a sound. If your water flow, viscosity, temperature, pressure... all hit the right "harmonics", a whistle, hum, etc can occur. I have seen this many times and discovering an absolute cause can be difficult. It is more common in piping, but I have seen it is almost every conceivable piece of equipment over the past 30 years.

A couple of suggestions. Remove the head and take some resin off the top of the resin bed and test it. It should be solid and feel very gritty, not mushy at all. You should not be able to break or "smoosh" the resin between your thumb and finger. If you can your resin is bad and needs replacement.

Try increasing or decreasing your water pressure slightly.

Try closing the anglestop slightly on your toilet.

Keep us updated as to what you discover.

Thanks for reply.

I don't see how resin would have any effect on the head making noise. Maybe you could explain that theory a little more please.

The house only has 60-70 psi. There is no prv installed to adjust pressure.

The angle stop on the toilet may effect the toilet, but the noise is not isolated to just the toilet. It makes noise in the head with any and all water use. Small flow like a toilet, or large use like a tub, same noise.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The water flows through the resin bed and it has resistance. As to the noise in the head, not sure where it is coming from but tear it down and reorder the seals, not that this will fix it but it will force you to re-seat them to make sure they are all in proper position. Carefully inspect the seals to make sure they have no damage or wear. I recommend giving them a slight stretch to see if any tears have occurred.

Old

Reaction score
I've seen one where the piston retainer came unscrewed just enough to allow the piston to move up and down independently of the shaft. Made a very fast bangin/thumping noise but it only happened during the backwash and rinse cycles. You installed a new piston and it didn't change so I might look next to the main gear pivot point (p/n 13170) it could be worn enough to let the piston move slightly and create a harmonic vibration. Put your finger on the piston shaft and see if you can change or maybe stop the noise.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I get a semi loud noise, right in the middle of the head, when water is running in the house. the unit is in the basement and they customer can hear it up stairs ever time the toilet is flushed.

Could you be hearing the turbine ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks